Caution: Lume Cube

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I wouldn't be using any tape on this thing

But what do you expect capturing the light reflecting it back and no cooling?

Reactions: FinniKris
At Photokina where I bought mine the guys from Lume Cube. Said run time was 20 min on full power and 30min if used underwater due to the cooling effect. Think you will be lucky to get 15min running them face down. Mine only get slightly warm when using on the Solo.

Does it get as hot if you point the light somewhere besides down?
Seems like pointing it down would make it hotter, but I don't know.

What do you use this for?

Seriously flawed test there TBP.

Does any one else wonder how it's possible for people to run tests like this with a straight face? Either the author has a personal beef with the product/company and wants to harm them, or they need to go back and retake middle school science class.

Try running your test again without putting the light, light end down and compare the results.

Yup, I'd say this test was a tad rigged.
I'm still trying to figure out what I'd use the thing for, anyway.

Does any one else wonder how it's possible for people to run tests like this with a straight face?
In defense of TBP, I was unable to find any reference to usage or owner's manual from their website. Their only warning is that it will get warm. So lack of guidance for use or cautions is interesting from the company.

So this is a PSA in how not to operate and the expected heat build up if not turned off and in a enclosure. He did preface the test with it being left on and in a bag.... He just duplicated the test to show how hot it could get....if left partially enclosed.

Reactions: Ron380 and J R

The Lume Cube can get warm at full power as 1500 lumens produces a fair amount of heat! however, the Cube has a thermistor which activates at 60 degrees Celsius and shuts off the device to prevent burning and overheating.

Every Lume Cube comes with a caution slip as soon as you open the packaging that explains to 'DO NOT PLACE CUBE FACE DOWN"

When placed face down the light has no where to be disbursed, and heat build up happens more rapidly then when the light is being used for its intended purpose.

I use LEE Filters and fix it with two pieces of gaffers tape top and bottom, and have never had an issue with burning thru or melting either.

also a FYI, When using the lights under the drone, the prop wash will cool the cubes so you will have absolutely no issues with overheating. Same goes while using the cubes underwater.

At Photokina where I bought mine the guys from Lume Cube. Said run time was 20 min on full power and 30min if used underwater due to the cooling effect. Think you will be lucky to get 15min running them face down. Mine only get slightly warm when using on the Solo.

correct! I never have issues while mounted under my drones. This guy just wanted to put his new gloves to use ;)

I mean who uses a light shining directly into a table??? lol

think you all missed his point, he had one get stuck on and could not turn it off with the app.......how it got turned on in the first place is a mystery, but if it were in a back pack and the buttons got pushed for on I can see this being an issue

I have a couple of "tactical" flashlights that get super hot when on too and a blue 3 watt laser that will burn through a back back if accidentally turned on......yep it happend

The Lume Cube can get warm at full power as 1500 lumens produces a fair amount of heat! however, the Cube has a thermistor which activates at 60 degrees Celsius and shuts off the device to prevent burning and overheating.

Every Lume Cube comes with a caution slip as soon as you open the packaging that explains to 'DO NOT PLACE CUBE FACE DOWN"

When placed face down the light has no where to be disbursed, and heat build up happens more rapidly then when the light is being used for its intended purpose.

I use LEE Filters and fix it with two pieces of gaffers tape top and bottom, and have never had an issue with burning thru or melting either.

also a FYI, When using the lights under the drone, the prop wash will cool the cubes so you will have absolutely no issues with overheating. Same goes while using the cubes underwater.
When mounted under a drone, how far will it illuminate an area at night? How high can you fly and light up the ground?

In defense of TBP, I was unable to find any reference to usage or owner's manual from their website. Their only warning is that it will get warm. So lack of guidance for use or cautions is interesting from the company.

So this is a PSA in how not to operate and the expected heat build up if not turned off and in a enclosure. He did preface the test with it being left on and in a bag.... He just duplicated the test to show how hot it could get....if left partially enclosed.

Each cube comes with a slip and instructions on how to oper
When mounted under a drone, how far will it illuminate an area at night? How high can you fly and light up the ground?

They will illuminate the ground up to 200 feet when mounted on the drone.

They are effective from 0-60 Feet to be noticeable in the DJI and Gopro cameras, when lighting up a subject in complete darkness.

check out this video for some samples

think you all missed his point, he had one get stuck on and could not turn it off with the app.......how it got turned on in the first place is a mystery, but if it were in a back pack and the buttons got pushed for on I can see this being an issue

He mentions it briefly once, more than 1/2 way through the video. If it was a public service announcement, the video should have been started with that - "Hey everyone, just a warning, if your LumeCube inadvertently gets turned on while it's packed with it's face covered, it can get really hot".

90% of the video just shows him keeping the light face down and measuring it's temp as it burns away. Given that this video could very easily turn someone away from purchasing the product, he should have been more concerned with making sure the point of this particular test was perfectly clear from the start.

He mentions it briefly once, more than 1/2 way through the video. If it was a public service announcement, the video should have been started with that - "Hey everyone, just a warning, if your LumeCube inadvertently gets turned on while it's packed with it's face covered, it can get really hot".

90% of the video just shows him keeping the light face down and measuring it's temp as it burns away. Given that this video could very easily turn someone away from purchasing the product, he should have been more concerned with making sure the point of this particular test was perfectly clear from the start.

Title of the video should be "How NOT to use your Lume Cube"

Each cube comes with a slip and instructions on how to oper
Cool, but when I see a product that lacks user info available from their website I tend to walk away. Just saying. And yes, I did read the FAQ.

Don't get me wrong, I like the product idea a lot and would likely buy if I had a need.

can u disable the wifi? id rather not have an expensive light crash an expensive drone.

That said theres a niche market for this stuff and they are making it work for them, otherwise id stick a gopro light on a gopro mount and be done.

583fc632-8b78-440d-831b-1ad20d0d2808.jpg

Reactions: Maddog
can u disable the wifi? id rather not have an expensive light crash an expensive drone.

That said theres a niche market for this stuff and they are making it work for them, otherwise id stick a gopro light on a gopro mount and be done.

583fc632-8b78-440d-831b-1ad20d0d2808.jpg

The Lume Cube uses Bluetooth. I have flow Lume Cubes on just about every drone on the market, and have not had a single issue or technical problem.

I have added up to 6 cubes on my DJI Inspire Pro with no problems, besides weight gain obviously. but weighing at 3.5 OZ its not much.

As for price, This isn't a cheap banggood Led light box. There is a 1500 lumen LED with custom lens that creates no hard edges, and pushes the light further than a naked diode ever could.

Clearly there are many options on the market, but you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Maddog
@ChrisM101 I have that same light (SupTig) sitting on my work bench. Sorry to say it is not in the same class as the LumeCube. The LC distributes the light fairly evenly, whereas the ST has very distinctive vertical hotspots. The refractive lens and the lumen output makes them different.

The Lume Cube uses Bluetooth. I have flow Lume Cubes on just about every drone on the market, and have not had a single issue or technical problem.

I have added up to 6 cubes on my DJI Inspire Pro with no problems, besides weight gain obviously. but weighing at 3.5 OZ its not much.

As for price, This isn't a cheap banggood Led light box. There is a 1500 lumen LED with custom lens that creates no hard edges, and pushes the light further than a naked diode ever could.

Clearly there are many options on the market, but you get what you pay for.
Yes you get what you pay for. I wrote a cover story in RotorDrone magazine comparing 3 different lights for drones including Lume Cubes. Photographically speaking, the lights are heavy in the blue part of the spectrum and will not completely accurately photograph colors. But if you're flying Lume Cubes with your GoPro chances are you're just flying recreational lights. Save your money and get the Fiilex AL 250. It's awesome

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421