Cannot take photos or video on 3dr

Reaction score
hi all

First post so be gentle

Well I've never be able to take photos from the 3dr solo the shutter release is greyed out and pretty much all of the camera setup options are greyed out. I can use other GoPro apps to control the camera but not the 3dr solo app. Put the latest firmware on the camera yesterday, updated drone and controller same day, no joy.

It's a hero 3 black camera on the solo gimble.

Video stream works fine. Just no camera control.

HELP please

Peter

Last edited:
The Hero 3 Black is not supported with the Solo App
You also do not want to turn on the GP wifi as that will/can interfere with the Wifi signal to and from the Solo and controller.

You have to use at minimum the 3+ Black.
Recommendation is for you to sell off your 3 black and buy a Hero4 black from Gopro's ebay site where they are selling 4 black refurbs for $269 right now.

if you stick with your 3 black, you have to start and stop video recording manually before taking off.

The Hero 3 Black is not supported with the Solo App
You have to use at minimum the 3+ Black, and its recommended the minimum cam to use is the 4 Silver.

Recommendation is for you to sell off your 3 black and buy a Hero4 black from Gopro's ebay site where they are selling 4 black refurbs for $269 right now.

Howdy

LOL knew this was going be the solution and it would involve money. Well you can get hero 4 black second hand ATM on U.K. eBay for £300 about $350+ have no choice can't really buy from USA get hit with import duty.

Thanks for the reply. The hero 4 is a better camera so some comfort there, not a lot, but some :-D

Best wishes
Peter

Last edited:
Peter don't feel bad I did the same thing. But sold the 3 on ebay and got a good used 4 silver now it works super. Dave

I also did the same thing. Bought the solo, tried using my 3 black.
Got tired of manually turning it on and pressing the record button then placing it in the gimbal.
:)

Hi Peter,

FYI
If you keep an eye out on gumtree you can come across the H4B now and again. I have 3 now (yeah yeah I'm greedy I know, I have 3 solos so one for each) anyway I digress, the last one I got I travelled for it. She wanted £80 for a cycle camera new in the box, never opened and totally unused. I gladly drove to collect it there and then.

Welcome to this forum, loads and loads of info available.

If you need anything do a bit of a search before posting as quite a lot of everything you may want answering had been answered loads of times.

Welcome to the amazing and very infectious world of 3DR Solo.

If you haven't done yet, and you an android, checkout Solex. Now that's impressive.

You will just have to have it. Lol.

Fly safe my friend

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421