Can tower run mission without connection to controller?

Reaction score
I attempted this under the assumption once I uploaded the mission to the drone and clicked auto that it would continue when out of range.

Seems simple enough to load waypoints, speed and send it out on it's own(recording video before hand).

If so what am I missing?

use this information with extreme caution
there is a parameter you can set in Mission Planner that tells the autopilot to ignore the loss of tx signal failsafe. When set the mission will complete regardless of if you lose signal with the transmitter or not.
Just remember to set it back to on when you are finished, else the RTH feature of solo will not work if you lose connection during normal flight
Also be aware that if on a transmitter ignored mission, the craft loses GPS or suffers some other failure you could be screwed

use this information with extreme caution
there is a parameter you can set in Mission Planner that tells the autopilot to ignore the loss of tx signal failsafe. When set the mission will complete regardless of if you lose signal with the transmitter or not.
Just remember to set it back to on when you are finished, else the RTH feature of solo will not work if you lose connection during normal flight
Also be aware that if on a transmitter ignored mission, the craft loses GPS or suffers some other failure you could be screwed
I think you can set that parameter to only be in effect when you are in autonomous flight.

well there is a parameter to set if to work in auto, or guided mode yes
but solo smart shots are considered guided

well there is a parameter to set if to work in auto, or guided mode yes
but solo smart shots are considered guided

Unless it's changed, which I doubt, the parameter for signal loss for both tx and ground station is "Continue with mission if in Auto". If you're not in Auto, it then defaults to RTL.

Now... it's unclear if Guided is considered an Auto mode. If it is, then with that parameter set, you should assume Solo will continue the smart shot upon loss of signal(s). In most, that shouldn't be too bad - MPCC would just fly to the end of the cable and stop, you could walk to that location and regain a connection. Orbit or selfie would loop back and you'd regain signal at some point. The only wild card would be zip line which, if the companion computer handled a loss of signal by maintaining course, your Solo would just keep going. This could be tested, and maybe I'll do that in the spring... it's too dang cold here now!

But yea, you have to be careful how you have those parameters set. It's a very good idea to check them before each flight or, if you have multiple Solos, designate one to autonomous missions and the other to "normal" flying with the parameters set accordingly.

As of the latest firmware update (2.4.1-6), that parameter no longer applies only to auto mode on the Pixhawk. That now affects auto and guided mode. All the smart shots use guided mode. So if you program a smart shot that takes the Solo out of range, or your controller craps out on you in the middle of the shot, it will continue with the shot as programmed. This can be very handy if you're doing something like an orbit around an obstruction where you lose signal temporarily.

However, you must use this wisely and understand the implications. For example, you setup a zipline, push the play button, and it starts moving along the line. The very nature of zipline means it will keep going along an infinite course. With that parameter set, it can now keep going beyond the range of the controller. It will just keep going until the battery reaches failsafe level. At which point, it probably won't have enough juice to make it home, and will crash on the way back. Another scenario, is you're doing basically any other smart shot and the controller dies. In the case of a MPCC, it will proceed to the end, then just sit there until the battery failsafe kicks in. With an orbit smart shot, it will just keep orbiting around and around until the battery failsafe kicks in.

So again, use this parameter wisely.

However, you must use this wisely and understand the implications. For example, you setup a zipline, push the play button, and it starts moving along the line. The very nature of zipline means it will keep going along an infinite course. With that parameter set, it can now keep going beyond the range of the controller. It will just keep going until the battery reaches failsafe level. At which point, it probably won't have enough juice to make it home, and will crash on the way back. Another scenario, is you're doing basically any other smart shot and the controller dies. In the case of a MPCC, it will proceed to the end, then just sit there until the battery failsafe kicks in. With an orbit smart shot, it will just keep orbiting around and around until the battery failsafe kicks in.

Not sure if it was ever confirmed, but when zip line was first introduced it was said that it actually had a limit. Seems like it was around 3000'.

It would seem like a good practice to put some kind of limit in the code for that. Too bad 3DR fired everyone that could answer that question... If that is the case, we still don't know what happens when it hits that limit. Does it stop and wait, reverse course on the zip line, RTH, do a little dance?

It would seem like a good practice to put some kind of limit in the code for that. Too bad 3DR fired everyone that could answer that question... If that is the case, we still don't know what happens when it hits that limit. Does it stop and wait, reverse course on the zip line, RTH, do a little dance?
Yeah, a dance would be cool. But would assume the easiest would be a simple distance limit in the Fence parameter. If so, would just stop similar to other Fence situations.

As of the latest firmware update (2.4.1-6), that parameter no longer applies only to auto mode on the Pixhawk. That now affects auto and guided mode. All the smart shots use guided mode. So if you program a smart shot that takes the Solo out of range, or your controller craps out on you in the middle of the shot, it will continue with the shot as programmed. This can be very handy if you're doing something like an orbit around an obstruction where you lose signal temporarily.

Just so I make sure that my advice is sound, then I am correct that changing that parameter will effect the solo smart shots or a mission in tower right?

Does anyone know what happens at the end of a cable cam? When it reaches the end, does it remain in guided mode with it just being told to stay in place, or does it drop to position hold? If it dropped to position hold, then the normal fail safes should all work normally. Just curious.

Does anyone know what happens at the end of a cable cam? When it reaches the end, does it remain in guided mode with it just being told to stay in place, or does it drop to position hold? If it dropped to position hold, then the normal fail safes should all work normally. Just curious.
I Believe it stays in Guided waiting for the next WP. No different than having a pause in WPs in Tower/MP.

Yep. It remains in guided mode waiting for your next cable cam command. I don't believe any of the smart shots self terminate.

Damn, I'm both excited and freaked out about Tower. My goal is to use the drone to scout wooded areas. I expect my drone to lose connection with the controller for short periods, but I want to continue the mission. I want to be crystal clear on this before I start messing with things.

Example:

Launch, then fly to points 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, then head back to launch. If between points 2 and 3 I lose connection to the controller - I want it to keep going and finish the mission rather that RTH.

Assuming the flight plan is less than 10 minutes or so, I shouldn't have to worry about loss of battery and things should be good - right? Are folks drawing a geofence as a fail safe into their plans or is that not necessary?

Launch, then fly to points 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, then head back to launch. If between points 2 and 3 I lose connection to the controller - I want it to keep going and finish the mission rather that RTH.

Yes, it'll do exactly that as long as the parameters on loss of remote/ground station are set to continue mission. I've sent small pixhawk quads on 5 mile missions, way beyond transmitter range (before the FAA's line of sight rules). It just keeps going, and you have the last waypoint set as a RTL. Once it hits the last one, it turns and makes a direct flight back to the launch spot and lands.

Are folks drawing a geofence as a fail safe into their plans or is that not necessary?

I haven't played with geofencing much, but I would assume you could set one to the maximum distance of your furthest point (with a little extra wiggle room) and it should respect it. But really, if it's on a mission, the only way it should stray from it's set path is if the GPS position fix is glitching, and if that's the case, a geofence isn't going to be effective since it needs to know it's position, which it won't with a glitching GPS fix...

Yes, it'll do exactly that as long as the parameters on loss of remote/ground station are set to continue mission. I've sent small pixhawk quads on 5 mile missions, way beyond transmitter range (before the FAA's line of sight rules). It just keeps going, and you have the last waypoint set as a RTL. Once it hits the last one, it turns and makes a direct flight back to the launch spot and lands.

What would happen if it lost a GPS fix? Would it just hover in that location until a low battery triggered an auto landing? If it lost GPS fix, then re-aquired it, would it auto-continue the mission?

Reactions: Ivanh
What would happen if it lost a GPS fix? Would it just hover in that location until a low battery triggered an auto landing? If it lost GPS fix, then re-aquired it, would it auto-continue the mission?
Make sure to change your RTH_THR_ENABLE to 2, I tried it and it worked flawlessly

If GPS is lost during an auto mission, it will switch to Fly Manal (Arducopter Alt Hold). If you happen to be out of controller range, your solo will pretty much just drift away into la la land. Once the battery is too low, it will land. Which means crash into whatever happens to be below it.

Loss of GPS AND Controller signal, Solo will land. If there is any wind, it will be more of a controlled crash.:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela