Cable pulled from bundle connector-Help?

Reaction score
While installing a wifi mod, one of the cables came out of the bundle connector. I don't have a crimp or other tool that can open the lever housing. Any suggestions on how to get the metal pin out for repair/reinsertion? I'm not in a place where I can order a new cable, either geographically or temporally. Shoot on Monday, hotel room today.
Any help/advice is much appreciated.Broken Cable-harness.jpg

I presume this connects to the wifi module!?!... Much like the cable assembly to/from the motor pod I assume, correct?

On the side of the connector you should be able to see gold material for each pin. You need to slightly depress that slot opening which is the catch for the pin, then push the pin out from the receptacle side. Tooth pick, needle or paper clip would work fine for the catch and should work as a pushing tool as well. Just go easy, no need to force.

Here's an example of the pin inside the plastic body, just to show you how it is held in place.

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/5019301100_sd.pdf

Edit to add, you need to depress the catch and then push the pin out at the same time. The catch should bypass the plastic once started. These are fragile terminals, paper thin in most cases, so it does not require force but finesse.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I presume this connects to the wifi module!?!... Much like the cable assembly to/from the motor pod I assume, correct?

On the side of the connector you should be able to see gold material for each pin. You need to slightly depress that slot opening which is the catch for the pin, then push the pin out from the receptacle side. Tooth pick, needle or paper clip would work fine for the catch and should work as a pushing tool as well. Just go easy, no need to force.

Here's an example of the pin inside the plastic body, just to show you how it is held in place.

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/5019301100_sd.pdf

Edit to add, you need to depress the catch and then push the pin out at the same time. The catch should bypass the plastic once started. These are fragile terminals, paper thin in most cases, so it does not require force but finesse.

Good luck!

After struggling with it for a few hours, I cannot get the connector out, nor can I get the wire to solidly crimp in. I'll try to find a hobby shop tomorrow that can help me. I found one on Google that isn't too far away, but it appears they specialize in R/C cars.
It appears the df13 connector is extremely challenging, and only 3DR readily offers them. It appears a whole new harness is required.
Everything I've read on the DF13 cable connection suggests it's an impossibility to repair a pulled cable/crimp.

I'd probably try and strip about another 1/8" of the insulation off and try to solder it to the connector tab.

I'd probably try and strip about another 1/8" of the insulation off and try to solder it to the connector tab.
While the idea is appreciable, it's a motorpod connector and there is no way to access to solder. The underside where it was wavesoldered is also coated. There is a local hobby shop that may be able to help with the DF13 connector. If they can't, I'll run an extra bit of uninsulated wire and hot-glue it in place for a temporary fix, until 3DR can get me a new harness assembly.
After doing a bit of research on the DF13 cable, there are many, many people unhappy with the flimsiness of the cable crimps, and the cost of the tool used for crimping these connectors.

at the end of the day, I stripped another 1/32 from the cable, "crimped" as best as I could using safety pin, then hotglued the cable into the connector and reinserted to the connector on the motherboard.
The unit self check is fine, weather prevented me from doing some testing.
Oddly enough, I called Tech Support and spoke to both Tier 1 and Tier 2 people. They claimed to have:
A-never seen/heard of this cable.
B-they wanted to send me a new motherboard, but no new cable.

The cable uses a DF13-8 connector. The website is filled with DF13 10 and 6 pin connectors. Tech support was useless, so they asked me to call back on Monday and speak to the RMA department to return the entire unit for a replacement.
The tech support people in Tijuana were exceptionally courteous, exceptionally apologetic, and exceptionally ignorant of their product.

Not an impressive experience with the 3DR tech support system.

The tech support people in Tijuana were exceptionally courteous, exceptionally apologetic, and exceptionally ignorant of their product.

Not an impressive experience with the 3DR tech support system.
Holiday weekend crew, give them a little slack....good thing they weren't exceptionally arrogant.

I want to say they have a Solo Cable Pack, that includes the cable assy. you're after. You'd have to ask for it and hope they know they have them...

Here's a link to the post that suggests that they offer....No Video | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Holiday weekend crew, give them a little slack....good thing they weren't exceptionally arrogant.

I want to say they have a Solo Cable Pack, that includes the cable assy. you're after. You'd have to ask for it and hope they know they have them...

Here's a link to the post that suggests that they offer....No Video | 3D Robotics Drone Forum
That link is helpful (regarding the cable pack). Following my initial post, there have been several others who have commented in various fora and web groups on the integrity of the crimp. I'm not entirely sure the crimp was solid to begin with (or perhaps that's just me finding an excuse for breaking it in the first place.

Reactions: RichWest

Someone may benefit from the experience. :)

It's Monday, regular crew.
A-They'd never heard of the cable.
B-Two different Tier 1 people insisted I send the unit back to them for replacement.

I explained that my Solo merely had a "bad sparkplug" and that Ford doesn't ask a customer to send their car to the factory for a spark plug repair.

After two hours of phone conversation, I finally convinced them to get me through to a Tier 2 person. I emailed them a snip of the post you linked me to regarding the harness pack. Miraculously, they discovered they truly do have the parts, already packaged, ready to ship. It's 19.99 regular price but "due to the troubles in locating the kit and the amount of time I'd been on the phone with them, they would ship it no charge."

Very happy about the latter portion of the experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks