Best Tablet under $175 for 3DR Solo?

I use an LG G Pad x 8.0 also known as the LG-V520. Seems to work well, runs Solex well and wasn't expensive. I added a data plan to it for $10 a month just so I can have updated map tiles etc.

Please excuse me asking, but all tablets discuseed are WiFi only (no 2G/3G data)?
Isn't it better to have a tablet with a mobile internet (2G/3G) instead on relying on WiFi Internet only?

Please excuse me asking, but all tablets discuseed are WiFi only (no 2G/3G data)?
Isn't it better to have a tablet with a mobile internet (2G/3G) instead on relying on WiFi Internet only?
Probably marginally more convenient - if you want to endure that monthly additional cell service charge!

I was able to get Solex running fine on my (7yo) daughters Kindle Fire 8" tablet. Had to manually load Google Play Store, but seems to work fine on the bench. Have not flown it yet.
790a3ee7992288d47d6446fa84d0b6f4.jpg
. Oh BTW no camera installed in this Solo, so no camera feed in screenshot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found I had issues with the Kindle Fire 7 as the app wouldn't stay open when a camera was connected. That was with the stock Solo app and with Solex. Hopefully it works better for you given it's an 8" model. Report back as those are great inexpensive models!

So as I understand the Nexus 7 2013 can run the Solo App and Solex. Is this the best choice for a used one under $200? Thanks

That's too much.. 85 - 100 is the range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably marginally more convenient - if you want to endure that monthly additional cell service charge!
I could not agree with you.
Without mobile internet you could not get Follow me mode (not the software one in Solex) and could get updated maps more difficult (just by cashing them on the device when it has internet connection).
Furthermore I have a separate data SIM that I use on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" (Android 4.0, unfortunately), so I do not need to get another SIM card, just another tablet with Android (as I am using my IPhone 6, IOS 10.2 that does not run Solex).

Heck, I've used a Samsung Tab 3 7" and it worked great but the screen wasn't bright enough so I went out and bought a Samsung Tab S2 9.7. With a slight modification I got it to work with the controller. Too big, hated it! So I'll probably spring for the Tab S2 8". The screen is awesome on these tablets and it was on sale over the holidays for $200. For now, I'm using my S7 Edge which has worked flawlessly for me anyway.

I have a Nexus 7 (2102) and a Galaxy Tab 3 (SM-T217a) neither of which will download the Solo App (Device not compatible). I've been trying to update the Tab to Android 4.4.2 with no luck. It's a used one without AT&T service so it won't update. So I've just been using my iPhone and it works, but can't use Solex. I've been thinking of getting a used Tab 4 to get the Android 4.4.2 so it would run Solo and Solex.

I have a Nexus 7 (2102) and a Galaxy Tab 3 (SM-T217a) neither of which will download the Solo App (Device not compatible). I've been trying to update the Tab to Android 4.4.2 with no luck. It's a used one without AT&T service so it won't update. So I've just been using my iPhone and it works, but can't use Solex. I've been thinking of getting a used Tab 4 to get the Android 4.4.2 so it would run Solo and Solex.
Then next month with the intro of Android 8.0, you will be 4 OS versions behind again. You should try to spring for something marginally upgradable.

NVidia shield k1 is probably the way to go.

I could not agree with you.
Without mobile internet you could not get Follow me mode (not the software one in Solex) and could get updated maps more difficult (just by cashing them on the device when it has internet connection).
Furthermore I have a separate data SIM that I use on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" (Android 4.0, unfortunately), so I do not need to get another SIM card, just another tablet with Android (as I am using my IPhone 6, IOS 10.2 that does not run Solex).
I couldn't afford mobile internet or a monthly payment, so when I do want to use follow me mode, I can just borough someones iPhone. Especially since everybody but me seems to have one these days.

Important note: RCA flies the drone, but I have not yet been able to get it to record video.

For those with older tablets or phones that won't let you download and use the Solo App... I stumbled onto this. I tried it on my Nexus 7 2012 and it works!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: SARDG
I was able to get Solex running fine on my (7yo) daughters Kindle Fire 8" tablet. Had to manually load Google Play Store, but seems to work fine on the bench. Have not flown it yet.
790a3ee7992288d47d6446fa84d0b6f4.jpg
. Oh BTW no camera installed in this Solo, so no camera feed in screenshot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew did you ever try flying with the Fire Tablet? Did it work? Thanks for any info.

/gkk

Andrew did you ever try flying with the Fire Tablet? Did it work? Thanks for any info.

/gkk
Me too! I bought a 10" tablet and it was too much. I've been thinking about the 8" Samsung Tab S2 for $350 but the 7" Fire is $40 and the 8" Fire HD is $90.

Me too! I bought a 10" tablet and it was too much. I've been thinking about the 8" Samsung Tab S2 for $350 but the 7" Fire is $40 and the 8" Fire HD is $90.

The problem you'll probably find out with the Fire is that the hardware will have a problem with serving up video properly. It may very well run Solex or Solo just fine, but if you want video from the GoPro, it may not handle it very well. Usually an issue with codecs.

I just got a few Solos and after speaking with folks on here went with the Nexus 7 (2013). In fact, I got a couple of them (so my son could fly with me) and didn't pay over $100 for any of them including shipping. Just be patient and they pop up under $100 on a fairly regular basis on ebay. It works really well! And, as someone pointed out, that is what Colin was using in many of his tutorial videos of the solo. So, I decided to give it a shot and I am glad I did.

I just got a few Solos and after speaking with folks on here went with the Nexus 7 (2013). In fact, I got a couple of them (so my son could fly with me) and didn't pay over $100 for any of them including shipping. Just be patient and they pop up under $100 on a fairly regular basis on ebay. It works really well! And, as someone pointed out, that is what Colin was using in many of his tutorial videos of the solo. So, I decided to give it a shot and I am glad I did.

Yea, maybe I'll go that way or just pony up for the S2. I really want great video quality and a solid platform. I plan on flying a lot this spring and summer. Doing some crotch rocket/ aerial video mash ups.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc