Best of friends?

Nice, I hope to have a pic like that soon.
Thanks GSSP! I still have one more bird not in the pic but should be at my door by Thursday. Been with DJI getting repaired.

Now, if the weather would clear up so I can get the SOLO in the air!!

First impressions so far. The thing I REALLY like is the feel of the controller in the hand. I first thought it looked kinda cheesy BUT 3DR did an outstanding job on its layout. It just feels right....

nobody can.
you should send steve that pictire.
where did u get your solo from.
got mine at Best Buy.
Why would Steve be interested in my pic? Is DDM going to carry the SOLO?

I found mine at a Best Buy too. I had to run all over the place but I found a helpful younger kid that searched the inventory of all the stores in the area and he found 2 for me. He actually sold me the 1 from another store and I just had to go pick it up. Saved me a lot more running!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Why would Steve be interested in my pic? Is DDM going to carry the SOLO?

I found mine at a Best Buy too. I had to run all over the place but I found a helpful younger kid that searched the inventory of all the stores in the area and he found 2 for me. He actually sold me the 1 from another store and I just had to go pick it up. Saved me a lot more running!
i had to go 190 miles to get this one
how far did u have to go to get yours.

Reactions: Raybro
Is DDM going to carry the SOLO

steve said they were looking into it.

i had to go 190 miles to get this one
how far did u have to go to get yours.
Not that far!! LOL! The wife had me out running with her so I just looked for Best Buy as we went. Stopped at Fry's but they didn't have any. The second Best Buy is where the kid helped find me one and it was only about 10 miles away.

First flight and comparison to the P3A today. I can say without a doubt that the P3 holds its position in the wind a lot better. The SOLO kinda bounced around and had a bit harder time keeping its altitude than the P3. SAT lock took maybe 40/50 seconds with the SOLO. The P3 it was almost instant. I only did one battery in each since there's 12/18 mph winds and I don't like to fly in these condition. Just don't see the benefit. I'll do some more side by side flights later in the week.

Not that far!! LOL! The wife had me out running with her so I just looked for Best Buy as we went. Stopped at Fry's but they didn't have any. The second Best Buy is where the kid helped find me one and it was only about 10 miles away.

First flight and comparison to the P3A today. I can say without a doubt that the P3 holds its position in the wind a lot better. The SOLO kinda bounced around and had a bit harder time keeping its altitude than the P3. SAT lock took maybe 40/50 seconds with the SOLO. The P3 it was almost instant. I only did one battery in each since there's 12/18 mph winds and I don't like to fly in these condition. Just don't see the benefit. I'll do some more side by side flights later in the week.

Thanks for the comparison. Mine is preordered and I'm losing patience since Best Buy has them. Looking at the pictures it looks a little bigger than the P3. Also, from what I see it looks like the Solo sits a little lower to the ground. Maybe a little lower center of gravity. I tipped my P2 A few weeks ago on landing, it was a little windy. The props hit the dirt. I ended up having to replace an ESC. Hoping the Solo is not so susceptible to tipping. I look forward to more comparisons.
Happy flying!

Reactions: AmosMoses
I could cancel my 2 month order and pick on up at BB locally as they have them. However I am enjoying watching everyone else shake the bugs out. I would say reviews are about 50/50 mostly because the app crashing. Mine ships tomorrow. Hoping for a software update before it gets here.

I could cancel my 2 month order and pick on up at BB locally as they have them. However I am enjoying watching everyone else shake the bugs out. I would say reviews are about 50/50 mostly because the app crashing. Mine ships tomorrow. Hoping for a software update before it gets here.

Just an FYI. At least on mine the App was not "Crashing" in the normal sense. I've had Apps crash before, they stop working (freeze) and quit themselves. I keep on loosing "Connection" the App was still working sort of.

OK I thought yours was crashing and had to be restarted. So you just had distance/range issues?

I agree totally. I'm holding out.

OK I thought yours was crashing and had to be restarted. So you just had distance/range issues?
I'm wondering if other background apps on some of these devices may be interfering with the Solo app? I'm starting out with a clean device.......whenever I get the bird.

Thanks for the comparison. Mine is preordered and I'm losing patience since Best Buy has them. Looking at the pictures it looks a little bigger than the P3. Also, from what I see it looks like the Solo sits a little lower to the ground. Maybe a little lower center of gravity. I tipped my P2 A few weeks ago on landing, it was a little windy. The props hit the dirt. I ended up having to replace an ESC. Hoping the Solo is not so susceptible to tipping. I look forward to more comparisons.
Happy flying!

Thanks Raybro! Without the gimbal doing a true comparison is defiantly going to handicap the SOLO obviously but at least I can compare the flying characteristics for now.
I'm not an expert by any means and I'm sure we'll start to see plenty of YouTube videos popping up that do a better job than I can but I'll give my personal and unbiased opinion as I can.

The SOLO does seem to be a bit more stable when landing but the P3 is much improved over the P2 with the wider landing gear. I'd have to give the edge to the SOLO though. It's a bit lower and having the 4 legs so wide apart work well! Although sitting here with it on my desk I honestly have to wonder how in the world they're going to fit a 3 axis gimbal under there with a GoPro mounted to it?! Guess that's why they pay the engineers the big buck though.

I just got home from work a bit ago and took it out for another flight. Nice and calm night so it was perfect flying conditions. I tried out the orbit and the follow me. Both seemed to work really well!! Very impressed with those 2 for sure!! I did have it seem to drop sat lock for just a second and the controller told me waiting on satellites or some thing to that effect but when I looked it had 13 locked? One other time it seemed to just drop about 7 feet on its own for some reason. Not sure what that was all about!

Took it out a bit farther too since the LED's are nice and bright at night. Got out to over 800 ft. distance @ 250 ft. altitude with no connection issues. I don't thing the signal bar indicator is very accurate though. It was constantly showing a week signal according to the bar meter even when I was right next to it and at 800 ft.

All in all it was a good flight! I can honestly say I can see the true potential that it offers. I will admit I was tossing around the idea of returning it earlier today but now I think it can only get better from here and I'll ride it out to see where it goes! I'll most likely not put a lot of time on it this early in the game since it's not very mature to avoid any mishaps. Since I don't have a GoPro anyway and the gimbal is in limbo it's not like I'd be missing any spectacular shots. I have the P3 to get my fix for now!;)

One other thing I'm reading that I don't understand. If the app and or Wi-Fi are disconnected will I lose control of the SOLO???? It doesn't make sense that the control signal is run through the app but as best I can figure from what I've been reading that seems to be the case. That would be just absurd! I did close the app a few times while the SOLO was on the ground and started and the TX said "waiting on SOLO"???? any one have an answer?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Amos. Good review. I wish I had mine dang it. I wonder the same thing about the app. There's a guy that has posted several videos with his Solo, on one flight he was doing the Orbit thing and it stopped right in the middle. I think the app locked up on him. He killed the app and restarted, it reconnected the all of a sudden the Solo dropped straight down and crashed. He stated that he probably should have hit the fly button and just landed it rather than reloading the app. I'm thinking you can still control the Solo without the app, but not sure.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One other thing I'm reading that I don't understand. If the app and or Wi-Fi are disconnected will I lose control of the SOLO???? It doesn't make sense that the control signal is run through the app but as best I can figure from what I've been reading that seems to be the case. That would be just absurd! I did close the app a few times while the SOLO was on the ground and started and the TX said "waiting on SOLO"???? any one have an answer?

Will thats what happened to mine on one of the times the App lost connection. I had no control at all, I finally restarted the App and I got it back.

Reactions: AmosMoses
I am not doubting anyone but this does not seem right. I would not want quad control depending on app. Makes me wonder of the Linux computer is hanging and the app is not responding waiting on the linux controller computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421