Best Camera for 3dr Solo

Reaction score
Website
www.cumulusimaging.com
I would like your opinion on what is the best camera for the 3dr solo? I have been using a GoPro 4 silver but having issues with the quality. I am saving the footage on a Sandisk extreme 64gb card, the GoPro is running the latest 5.0 firmware.

I would like your opinion on what is the best camera for the 3dr solo? I have been using a GoPro 4 silver but having issues with the quality. I am saving the footage on a Sandisk extreme 64gb card, the GoPro is running the latest 5.0 firmware.

What kinds of problems and are you using the suggested settings?

Can a user change out the lens or does it need to go to a shop? Does this void the warranty? I am wondering if I should invest in a better memory chip?

You have to start with the basics. Again, what settings are you using and what specifically are your problems?

Reactions: CumulusImaging
You have to start with the basics. Again, what settings are you using and what specifically are your problems?
The footage is 1080 @60fps. but when i go to edit the footage it is not the best quality. I am flying line of sight since I can't see the images with no option for FPV on any of my apple products and the GoPro wifi interferes with the control of the solo.

The footage is 1080 @60fps. but when i go to edit the footage it is not the best quality. I am flying line of sight since I can't see the images with no option for FPV on any of my apple products and the GoPro wifi interferes with the control of the solo.

Okay is someone messing with me?

Let me get this straight, you're not using the gimbal? If that's the case, point up $50 and buy three gimbal. Install it and get back to us.

Yes I do have the solo gimbal attached. I believe it is either the gopro quality or the sandisk chip.

Or it's the install... You should have FPV if you have it hooked up. In fact, you can use any camera with a micro hdmi out to get FPV. You may have missed a connection.

There was a cable sticking out of the Solo when you got it. Did you hook it up, along with the data cable to the gimbal? Then did you carefully route the cables to make sure they cleared the gimbal motors? Then for the third time, what settings are you using on the Go Pro?

I guess I am not understanding your question on the settings. I have the GoPro shooting at 1080 @60FPS, fov med, low light, protune on, white balance 5500k, color flat, iso 400, sharpness low,ev comp 0.. Yes, I have attached the gimbal cables both power and HDMI to their places on the gimbal circuit board and have routed the cables not in interfere with the gimbal. The gimbal functions fine. Since purchasing these solo's, I can't use the solo app to view my flights. The app won't work with the ios update, so I am only flying line of sight with no way to view the footage as I am flying. Basically, I turn the GoPro on and fly then edit the raw footage. I have tried, an iPhone 7+ and iPad mini and can't connect to the app.

Sorry, but buy an Android Tablet ( $$$ ) & use either the 3dr Solo App or purchase the Solex app for another $30......this drone works well on the Android platform vs Apple .......

unless if you insist on using Apple products......I would buy a DJI Phantom 4 or 4 Pro for $1,200 or $1,600 then you will have no problems except for the fact your wallet will be a lot lighter......

Last edited:
I guess I am not understanding your question on the settings. I have the GoPro shooting at 1080 @60FPS, fov med, low light, protune on, white balance 5500k, color flat, iso 400, sharpness low,ev comp 0.. Yes, I have attached the gimbal cables both power and HDMI to their places on the gimbal circuit board and have routed the cables not in interfere with the gimbal. The gimbal functions fine. Since purchasing these solo's, I can't use the solo app to view my flights. The app won't work with the ios update, so I am only flying line of sight with no way to view the footage as I am flying. Basically, I turn the GoPro on and fly then edit the raw footage. I have tried, an iPhone 7+ and iPad mini and can't connect to the app.
Try this:
Low light: off
Color: GoPro
Sharpness: medium or high

Check out the sticky on GoPro settings.

For now, iOS 10.3 will not work with the 3DR Solo app.

Sorry, but buy an Android Tablet ( $$$ ) & use either the 3dr Solo App or purchase the Solex app for another $30......this drone works well on the Android platform vs Apple .......

unless if you insist on using Apple products......
I would buy a DJI Phantom 4 or 4 Pro for $1,200 or $1,600 then you will have no problems except for the fact your wallet will be a lot lighter......
Thanks for the advice. The Phantom is on my short list. Like to fly one to see how it is to fly before buying. I will try the android tablet.

Cumulus,

There are numerous threads on the problems you are having.......use the search function.......others experience the same thing with iphones or ipads

Once you get the 3dr Solo drone all dialed in, it is a great piece of machinery..........easy to fly......tough to beat the open source platform & Smart Shots.......

Don't give up.......I believe iOS version 10.2 works but don't quote me on that.....

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. Do you know of any fix to using ios 10. with the solo app so I can see the footage I am taking vs flying blind?
SidePilot is a program that will allow you to see the video on your screen. I haven't used it all that much but it appears promising. Check it out at the app store. For us who are tied to Apple products, this may be our only option.

Just like you, upgraded to iOS 10.3.1 and lost connection to the 3dr Solo app every time I push "ready to fly". Read all the posts re this issue (and trust me there are quite a few threads out there now). Found a new app called Side Pilot and this is an alternative to buying a new android phone / tablet. Downside is that the app will cost you $14.99, however this is a whole lot cheaper than other alternatives... Side Pilot looks the goods and the developer has made comments and appear active in his ongoing development of the app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela