Best Android Tablet for Solo

Reaction score
So the time has come for me to invest in an Android tablet to use with Tower for mapping missions with Solo.

What do you recommend is the best most compatible Android tablet to take a look at?

Price is also a consideration but compatibility is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the time has come for me to invest in an Android tablet to use with Tower for mapping missions with Solo.

What do you recommend is the best most compatible Android tablet to take a look at?

Price is also a consideration but compatibility is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use my iPad Air 90% of the time w/Solo. I bought the NIVDIA K1 Shield for Android. I like.

Samsung galaxie tab a works fine except gps defective on most of those device. Not much of a deal since I'm not using follow me. Offline maps for tower would be nice to save on sd cards. Anti-glare is a big +.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7-inch, and everything works nicely, except I had to use a bit of foam to get it to hold tightly in the bracket on the radio. The screen is bright enough to use in Arizona, and the image is big enough for me.

I don't think most of these answers are responsive to the question. For flying I use an iPhone 6s. It is a balance thing; my iPad Mini makes the controller top heavy.

The question here is what is the best to use for Tower. I have the same question.

there is a new tower out, it still only requires android 4.0 but from what I understand they will soon need to change that to keep up with some of the new capabilities in ardupilot.
If you are going to use it with solo only then use tower, not the new tower beta.
as for a tab just about any tablet will run that version of tower.
So if your going to use it just for that go cheap.

If you any other plans for the tablet then it goes down to what those plans are
If you want updates, the nexus line is the only way to go
the OEM on other bands especially Samsung are terrible
Nexus is also about the purest android you will find reducing conflicts and bloatware

If you want to duel purpose for video find one with hdmi input like the Shield

Reactions: Robert Rose
I use a Nexus 7 (2013) and really like it. The screen is really bright and easy to see on bright days.
Chuck, I'm looking to buy a used Nexus 7 (2013) that is Wi-Fi only, okay or is cell required? Thank you in advance for your input. Matt

Chuck, I'm looking to buy a used Nexus 7 (2013) that is Wi-Fi only, okay or is cell required? Thank you in advance for your input. Matt
Welcome aboard. Yes, a wifi only Nexus 7 (2013) would be a great choice. I decided I didn't want to pay for the extra cellular charges on my plan. I figure if I needed the cellular function, I could just switch to my phone. I ended up giving my Galaxy Tab4 to my daughter, and I only use the Nexus at this time. It works great. I especially like the screen brightness (Thanks Maddog). I would say go for it, and fly safe.

Reactions: MCSPDX
Has anyone tried the galaxy tab a with this? Keep seeing decent deals for it and I'm skeptical to buy a 2/3 year old tablet that probably won't get updated much anymore.

I believe 3DR has a list of tablets that work with Solo. You can look it up there, or use the search function on here to find your answer. Welcome, and good luck.

I have tried numerous Apple, Samsung, and generic(Best Buy Insignia) tablets and all worked well with the Solo app and a PolarPro sunshade. I would put the nod to any Android device if you plan on going beyond what the Solo app offers. Solex, Tower and other apps are Android only. I highly recommend Solex, and I am a cheapster who never buys apps.

I have tried numerous Apple, Samsung, and generic(Best Buy Insignia) tablets and all worked well with the Solo app and a PolarPro sunshade. I would put the nod to any Android device if you plan on going beyond what the Solo app offers. Solex, Tower and other apps are Android only. I highly recommend Solex, and I am a cheapster who never buys apps.
Ahhhh, what do you mean by "you don't buy apps? Of course, you bought the Solex, yeah?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I could count the number of Android apps I have purchased on one hand with couple of fingers missing.

That's fine. Just know that people who stole Solex are not welcome here. As it is, this community is very indebted to the developer and very much feel that his contribution to our flying experiences goes well beyond the $40 we paid. Solex is created by an individual. An individual who is highly regarded by most everyone here.

So, if you paid for it, terrific. If you didn't, we'd like to get to know you even better.

Just to be clear, i purchased the Solex app without hesitation. That was my point. I truly appreciate that Kelly has picked up what was essentially dropped by 3dr to create a much enhanced version of what they started off with. I simply don't find many apps worth buying that don't have free or fremium equivalents. I would also be one of those willing to pay going forward for additional features.

I come from a software development background, and know just how much work is involved. Thats why i keep posting the BB offers so that the conmunity and developers will thrive. I may be new to this, but i know a good thing when i see it. The Solo and Solex especially fit this bill.

Reactions: Chuck and SARDG
I use a cheap digiland tablet from best buy. I'm not sure if all models are the same as mine, but the screen is super bright.

Someone posted that they found them recently on sale for $40.

It won't run any hardcore apps, but seems to do fine with the solo apps.

I'd pick up an extra if I found them for this price.

Has anyone tried the galaxy tab a with this? Keep seeing decent deals for it and I'm skeptical to buy a 2/3 year old tablet that probably won't get updated much anymore.
I did buy a Galaxy Tab A and tried it with the 3DR app and it crashed after about 2 minutes of flight. Never tried it on Solex. I returned it the next day.
I think there's others here that have had good service with the Tab A.

Welcome aboard. Yes, a wifi only Nexus 7 (2013) would be a great choice. I decided I didn't want to pay for the extra cellular charges on my plan. I figure if I needed the cellular function, I could just switch to my phone. I ended up giving my Galaxy Tab4 to my daughter, and I only use the Nexus at this time. It works great. I especially like the screen brightness (Thanks Maddog). I would say go for it, and fly safe.
Chuck,
Does the WiFi version have GPS? I bought the one with cellular and wifi to get GPS. I never bought cell service for it.

Don.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo