Battery eliminator for GoPro 4

Reaction score
I would like to do some Time lapse stuff with my GoPro. It was going to be dedicated to the Solo but hard to say when I will have a complete Solo/Gimbal setup so..

This is exterior shots only over 10-12 hours. Because of heavy dew and possible showers I need to put the thing in the enclosure. Problem is with 60 second time lapse I only get about 2 1/2 hours of battery life. I have USB power packs that should power it for the duration but no way to attach the cable in the enclosure.

I know you can power via USB or the Hero port but obviously I cant connect the cable when its in the case.

Suggestions?

if it's not out in the elements, just use the frame or any other naked mount with with your usb power pack. i have taken several night lapses like that.

if you need it in the skeleton case for exposure to the elements, then you'll need a special skeleton case back door that lets you access the hero port to power the GoPro with a portable battery. i know several people that use the swiftronix.

http://www.switronix.com/products?p...age=flypage.tpl&product_id=279&category_id=54

Reactions: Nolan and rrmccabe
I would like to do some Time lapse stuff with my GoPro. It was going to be dedicated to the Solo but hard to say when I will have a complete Solo/Gimbal setup so..

This is exterior shots only over 10-12 hours. Because of heavy dew and possible showers I need to put the thing in the enclosure. Problem is with 60 second time lapse I only get about 2 1/2 hours of battery life. I have USB power packs that should power it for the duration but no way to attach the cable in the enclosure.

I know you can power via USB or the Hero port but obviously I cant connect the cable when its in the case.

Suggestions?
buy a gopro frame mount with a lens protector. get a big plastic bag cut a hole the size of the gopro lens. put gopro lens in that hole. make it a tight squeeze of a hole. slide the lens cover over the bag and lens. fit battery in bag make connections close bag tight. i recommend using a clear bag so you can select your settings. big zip lock bag works nicely

Reactions: rrmccabe
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering the Switronix. I saw something similar from Cam-do but they did not make it for the Hero4 yet. This will work perfect and give me 10' of USB cable.

Reactions: Nolan
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering the Switronix. I saw something similar from Cam-do but they did not make it for the Hero4 yet. This will work perfect and give me 10' of USB cable.
Hey rrmccabe, have you got yours yet? Any tutorials out there yet?

Hey Ken. Yes I did.

Used it last night along with a new Anker USB power supply to make a time lapse.

Its just plug and go.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

20150606_203028.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ken. Yes I did.

Used it last night along with a new Anker USB power supply to make a time lapse.

Its just plug and go.

View attachment 31
Wow That was great video.....though I was referring to the Solo when I asked if you'd gotten yours yet..

LOL. Sorry.

No solo or even shipping notice yet.

Hey Ken. Yes I did.

Its just plug and go.

View attachment 31
Hello again, I checked out some of the aerial videos you have on Vimeo (at least I think they were yours) You sure have a lot bigger Kahunas than I, flying that far from your home point. I have never taken any of my Phantoms out of line of site and most likely won't do it with my Solo either.

Yea probably me. My Phantom regular flies a mile or two away from home. It helps that its old technology now and not worth much. So in reality I don't care if I lose it. Have to say that makes it much more enjoyable to fly :)

I have had to go after it twice though !

I like pleasure cruising with a UAV as I have lakes and rivers and stuff to see launching from my house. If I cant get some range out of the Solo it wont get much use as it has little value and I will by the new P3 which I know will smoke the Solo for connectivity at distance.

W
Yea probably me. My Phantom regular flies a mile or two away from home. It helps that its old technology now and not worth much. So in reality I don't care if I lose it. Have to say that makes it much more enjoyable to fly :)

I have had to go after it twice though !

I like pleasure cruising with a UAV as I have lakes and rivers and stuff to see launching from my house. If I cant get some range out of the Solo it wont get much use as it has little value and I will by the new P3 which I know will smoke the Solo for connectivity at distance.
Well I have to say the video is really cool..I love how your Phantom just keeps going further and further and further..I kept waiting for it to turn around but it just kept going...I'm not sure, even after I take possession of my Solo, that I'll send my Phantom off to explore worlds unknown...though after watching your video I have to admit it's sooooo tempting:)

Ken, most all the new videos are missions. I hit "GO" came inside and got fresh coffee and waited for it to come home. Some of those I dropped down and flew 30' to 50' above the river and was 2 miles away so had no connectivity.

Line of site with custom antennas 9998' is the best distance I have made at about 400' altitude.

The V+ has turned into my mission machine.

I doubt I will be nearly as gutsy with the Solo. Be afraid to lose it.

Sounds like you have the right solution for your needs

Just FYI, I also fly GoPro's on high altitude balloons, and those flights can last 5 hours. I also have 4 of them with battery backpack
Options. I use all four in my current HAB payload. I ended up using a dremel to make a hole on the side of the original back panel, connecting the USB through it, and putting putty (that comes off) around the hole. I then use a battery w/4 outputs to connect the all. In that setup, the card fills up before the battery runs out.

I then use the bigger (battery) housing for other things like scuba. Works great for what I am doing.

Thanks for the input. Not sure how long this battery will run. I have went 14 hours on a single camera. Best guess is the battery was down to 1/3 on the external and full on GP of course.

I have used my case several times outdoors. Getting a good night lapse has been really weather dependent of course and I have not had anything semi-clear to play with for a week.

Hey Ken. Yes I did.

Its just plug and go.

View attachment 31
Cool. Stuff . looks like the swift Robin helped out. Alot.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Where did you buy yours from?

Mind sharing your Gopro settings for this?

Thanks
Ryan G

Will have to find where i bought it. The settings were default night lapse with auto time. So it fired another photo as soon as the previous one was complete.

Thanks for the heads up Rich.. If you find where you got it please let me know.. I want one. :)

Ryan G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela