Battery Discharge, Charger Hack

Reaction score
Website
www.inthinice.com
Greetings. This topic is voluminous. Apologies.

Wired a XT60 connector between Solo Battery Connector, Solo Charger Brick. I'm too cheap to order a Molex Connector.
Maybe useful for storage/discharge. Don't pay attention to the IMax screen. It is not attached. 2A @14.8v would not be what I use ;).
IMG_1730.JPG
Your thoughts surrounding potential risks would be appreciated.

I did that on my chargers, and made another charge plug being the 2 prong AC plug and a bit of plastic card to make the orientation lug so it can't go in the wrong way.

Reactions: Scott McCloud
Scott,
I did the same thing. No issues! With a more powerful LiPo charger you can pump in 5.2A which is much faster than the 3.3A stock charger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did that on my chargers, and made another charge plug being the 2 prong AC plug and a bit of plastic card to make the orientation lug so it can't go in the wrong way.

Hi there.
If you could be so kind to tell me where you got the plug from to connect to the solo battery?
Thanks.
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there.
If you could be so kind to tell me where you got the plug from to connect to the solo battery?
Thanks.
[emoji106]
standard North American AC cable, you can see it below bent to fit, with piece of plastic card as the locating lug and covered in heat shrink/liquid electrical insulator

Attachments

• 2017-01-20 14.47.08.jpg
    2017-01-20 14.47.08.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 138
Reactions: speatuk
standard North American AC cable, you can see it below bent to fit, with piece of plastic card as the locating lug and covered in heat shrink/liquid electrical insulator

Fantastic thank you.

Before anyone dreamed of a FPV quad , RC NICAD s had to be discharged at high amps they used 12v car bulbs you can solder to base and contacts of old style 1157 bulbs burning both elements ,one bulb will pull about 2 amps, new style bulbs you will have to get enough plastic off the bulb base to solder the contacts. They will handle the voltage of a 2c lipo.
My question is how accurate are the battery leds how many are left after using your lipo dis / charger to storage level I have some chargers and just got molexes and I can do it for myself but am curios , and trying to give some alternatives to someone that would better served with some step up chargers.

Greetings. This topic is voluminous. Apologies.

Wired a XT60 connector between Solo Battery Connector, Solo Charger Brick. I'm too cheap to order a Molex Connector.
Maybe useful for storage/discharge. Don't pay attention to the IMax screen. It is not attached. 2A @14.8v would not be what I use ;).
View attachment 4993
Your thoughts surrounding potential risks would be appreciated.

Scott,
I liked your hack for charging the Solo batteries and did the same mod. I also have the exact same charger!
How do you trick the iMax into charging the Solo smart battery? I understand I can't balance charge because there isn't a balance connection. I found that the Solo battery needed to be turned on but still didn't work, the charger was looking for the balance connection even thou I had the charger set for Lipo charge NOT balance charging.
I tricked the charger by plugging the balance from another 4s battery and it worked however this just doesn't seam like the way to do it.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

Scott,
I liked your hack for charging the Solo batteries and did the same mod. I also have the exact same charger!
How do you trick the iMax into charging the Solo smart battery? I understand I can't balance charge because there isn't a balance connection. I found that the Solo battery needed to be turned on but still didn't work, the charger was looking for the balance connection even thou I had the charger set for Lipo charge NOT balance charging.
I tricked the charger by plugging the balance from another 4s battery and it worked however this just doesn't seam like the way to do it.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

I was focusing on discharging and haven't tried to charge. So, not much help.
Would love to read other hacks.

Scott,
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

My HiTec charger doesn't need the balance plug if I use "LiPo Charge" and not "LiPo Balance". Works like a charm!
88358025112a0a023aacedfcde656e01.jpg

My HiTec charger doesn't need the balance plug if I use "LiPo Charge" and not "LiPo Balance". Works like a charm!

I know my iMax charger is much cheaper but I tried Lipo Charge and it still asked for the balance connection. Will need to see if I can find a work around.
88358025112a0a023aacedfcde656e01.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela