Basic Guide to Solo Antennas (Stock, Alfa, FPVLR)

Reactions: Mark35mi
$13.25 shipped :D Thanks FamilyFlyGuy

Your welcome but thanks really belongs to P2P!
;)
(from post) "Alfa Antennas"

Well it appears Amazon is out of them. Probably from all the new Solo owners gobbling them up. I just found this googling for other sources.
Antenna 2.4GHz 7dBi Directional Panel w/ RP-SMA. Signal Booster

#26 Pedals2Paddles, Jan 17, 2017

Thanks P2P, Just ordered another set from here this morning...already shipped and cheap! :cool:

Reactions: Mark35mi
Hello,

Excellent thread for a newbie like me! Has anyone tried this version of the Alpha's?

Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain directional indoor panel antenna with RP-SMA connector (compare to Asus WL-ANT-157) Amazon.com: Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain directional indoor panel antenna with RP-SMA connector (compare to Asus WL-ANT-157): Computers & Accessories

I know they are dual band but was curious how the antenna shape would play into coverage area compared to the other single band model..

Thanks

I don't see any reason it won't work. Performance should be similar to the other Alfas.

Ok, thanks. Another newbie antenna question I have is when using the Alpha's what it the orientation of the antennas on the controller. I have read the stock antennas are aimed towards the ground, is it the same with the Alpha's under the controller with the paddles facing the sky?

I do not like dual band antennas. No way they can be properly tuned for both frequencies. They might 'Work' but with significant losses.
On the Alfa antennas the logo on the antenna must face the aircraft. Usually down and out works best also. I believe there is a post with a photo on this.

FPVLR's ordered.

I just love this bird.

With regard to the Alpha M25 dual band.

I have those too. Also the standard Alpha's.

I must say I noticed a marked improvement over the M25 dual band Alpha's and the standard Alphas.

I would say out if experienced save your money and get the standard 7dbi Alpha's for $20 the pair.

They do perform better.

I tried the M25's singular with a standard antenna and then with 2. But they did not perform as good as the standard Alpha's.

Just waiting to try the FPVLR's

(Cheesy grin)

Tried the Alpha's and then went to the FPVLR's. You will lose sight of your Solo long before you lose connection.

Reactions: speatuk
For the noobs who need a video to better understand what's happening when you increase the db with antenna only (and can't decipher pebbles post which was a great explanation btw), here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
excellent video

Reactions: andrew.baker.142
Yeah.
FPVLR has arrived.

Hmmmm it's very sexy.

Right I'm off out to try it.

(Big cheesy grin)

:)

Reactions: Alpine
Yeah.
FPVLR has arrived.

Hmmmm it's very sexy.

Right I'm off out to try it.

(Big cheesy grin)

:)
8000 feet first flight then I bottled it.

When I got her home, changed battery just about to set off again, this time on a mission, started raining. Grrrrrr

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
Any suggestions please :)

I went into the field to run start up GPS lock & HDOP in flight monitoring comparisons between rev A & mRo boards executing the same mission in 20 mph winds!

Solo keeps loosing remote signal in line of sight & returning home at waypoint 3 in a open field about 150 feet up with both stock & Alfa antennas.

I did managed to collect some in flight GSP information to compare but looks like i need to upgrade my wifi in both the Solo & Remote!

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND I PURCHASE?

I have upgraded the wifi in my solo and the controller and I am using FPVLR antennas.

Question though.

Were you pointing up towards the solo with the antennas "Alpha" wording facing towards the solo. The antennas pointing down and slightly out?

Reactions: Xavier Arthur
Any suggestions please :)

I went into the field to run start up GPS lock & HDOP in flight monitoring comparisons between rev A & mRo boards executing the same mission in 20 mph winds!

Solo keeps loosing remote signal in line of sight & returning home at waypoint 3 in a open field about 150 feet up with both stock & Alfa antennas.

I did managed to collect some in flight GSP information to compare but looks like i need to upgrade my wifi in both the Solo & Remote!

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND I PURCHASE?

Unless you are trying to fly 2000' or further, you probably bout need to spend any more money on antennas. Just make sure the stock antennas are pointing down and a little out. Pointing them at the copter will cause the copter to break lock.

Reactions: Xavier Arthur
I have upgraded the wifi in my solo and the controller and I am using FPVLR antennas.

Question though.

Were you pointing up towards the solo with the antennas "Alpha" wording facing towards the solo. The antennas pointing down and slightly out?
What wifi upgrade do you recommend?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela