BAIL on IOS? Go android and solex?, I need some advice.

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
Ok so I found out last night that the 10.3 update killed my bird. Now I have to figure this out.

I do a ton of WAKE related filming.

At least watch this one. So you get how I use it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a long edit.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NEVER GOT BOAT MODE (whole other issue/gripe)
They sure acted like this was something that was going to happen.

Now in those shots I was running Follow - Free Look
So when I would be in the boat the solo would follow along with us at speed while allowing me to pan and adjust the shot. Worked great. We launch off a dock and ride until the battery was dead.

Sometimes running the solo ahead of the film boat so the film boat can basically steer and fly the solo while the operator just kept the rider in frame. Sometimes the rider is behind the film boat so the solo was running along with the boat and rider.

My question about the SOLEX is can its follow feature replicate this? Could I have it chase the controller and look around freely? Move it ahead of me? Does the camera/gimbal go down to one stick control like in the solo app?

I don't mind going to the store grabbing a dedicated android (I've been wanting a dedicated and larger screen anyways) and buying the solex app - which looks like it will continue to get support and updates- if this will be able to keep me in the air and be able to feature similar smart shots.

I need to go get something bought and get back in the air asap. Anyone with experience on the follow modes in SOLEX that could confirm that the type of use will be comparable I could really use the advice asap.

Last edited:
So wait for them.

I might go grab a mini that was loaded 10.2 and not update it until we know it's working.

I will still be shocked if 3Dr releases another IOS update
Solex just keeps getting better, shame, I just got a Ipad through work

I'm on uscell and don't want to go to a different carrier just for a tablet with lte.
Will the solex app follow and free look?

Looks like us cell has galaxy8 or lg in androids. A new mini would not be on the 10.3 update. I could just not update it. But then solex will not be an option if they don't end up coming out with an update.

If the android solo app is solid (until it needs an update) and solex could free look while follow I'll grab an android. I did not see in the android thread where anyone was using the lg , a few using the galaxy 8 but uscell only offers the S2.

I want to get into Solex and be done with 3dr I just need to know if you guys have any knowledge that the software does or can offer a follow free look mode.

If not then I'll grab a mini.

Last edited:
I've read it and no where does it break down the control functions while in free look.
Nor can anyone vouch or show examples of it being used to it's extremity.

Everything I've seems has me believing they wrote their follow based on the view and not the gps and barometer of the device running the app.

Last edited:
View media item 595
The wording is still unclear about the actual usage. If this pilots off one stick and maintains relatively the same location based on the start of the shot. There is no yaw mentioned. As well as the ability to use the right stick to reposition the drones relative position.

What's great about the solo app is that if you want to put the drone up and let the boat or car driver basically pilot the drone and be the secondary observer , so the pilot can just move about and capture you can. This is how I typically use my drone.

I think I'm going to go grab a mini and keep with the solo app because I've gained enough confidence with it over water chasing boats and riders at 22-27mph. I would go with the android and solex if anyone can confirm the reliability and the functionality of this feature in solex. I wouldn't want to be the guinnie pig. Over water. And have no 3dr support if that app failed.

I went and got a new IPAD MINI 4 from Uscell.

Had the 10.1 IOS so I'm back in the air on the old firmware until they get this sorted.

I've read it and no where does it break down the control functions while in free look.
Nor can anyone vouch or show examples of it being used to it's extremity.

Everything I've seems has me believing they wrote their follow based on the view and not the gps and barometer of the device running the app.
Sometimes you just have to play with it.
I read how free look works now in the docs, not sure why you cant find it
But I have not been able to fly it yet. I learned a ton by just powering on solo and the controller connecting and playing with it

Sometimes you just have to play with it.
I read how free look works now in the docs, not sure why you cant find it
But I have not been able to fly it yet. I learned a ton by just powering on solo and the controller connecting and playing with it

Yeah maybe someone can source me the controller / pilot info on the SOLEX freelook. I doubt there is any video , or an actual break down. I've looked all over. I copied what little they covered in their hand book in the above image.

My solution was simple. ASUS Z PAD 8 $128.00 @ Amazon. Just a few flights on it. I have never used an Android device before but it has some nice features that IPad doesn't. Watch out for Apple updates. If your device is charging during the night around 2 - 4 it will auto update. That's what happened to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo