Bad Crash

Reaction score
Newby mistake. So crashed and cracked the case. Two of the motors don't turn easily. The other two turn easily with a small cogging feel.
I guess the sticky two need to be replaces?

You can send a pic showing us the damage, Many parts available online.
but it's best to have 3DR do the diagnostics & repairs, if you had a bad crash.
Don't feel bad, Most people have this happen to them to some extent.
It will make you a better Pilot!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Newby mistake. So crashed and cracked the case. Two of the motors don't turn easily. The other two turn easily with a small cogging feel.
Sorry to hear you crashed your bird, but if there's a bright spot it lead you here and joining here has helped me a ton to become a better pilot and photographer. There's a ton of guys here with experience in every aspect of this hobby that are ready and willing to help out fellow pilots. I've learned more here about ap and multi rotors since joining than I had ever even thought possible. I was getting simple flying experience before this, now I'm benefitting from that and experience from guys that have been at it forever.

Steves right you can post pics and get help for sure, but if it's as bad as it sounds 3dr would probably be your best bet to getting it back to flying like a new one. Hope you get back in the air soon and welcome to the site.

Welcome to our world. Crashes are sometimes out of our controls, sometimes not but again like these guys are saying this makes us better at what we do.
We can react quicker or at least try our best to understand what happened.
But yes I second that you should get in touch w/ 3dr and let them handle repairs. Im pretty experienced w/ my solo but after my solo had a major crash I let
the experts find out what happened. In my case found out a motorpod had failed but at the time I thought it was something I had done.

Welcome to our world. Crashes are sometimes out of our controls, sometimes not but again like these guys are saying this makes us better at what we do.
We can react quicker or at least try our best to understand what happened.
But yes I second that you should get in touch w/ 3dr and let them handle repairs. Im pretty experienced w/ my solo but after my solo had a major crash I let
the experts find out what happened. In my case found out a motorpod had failed but at the time I thought it was something I had done.
What happened when your motor pod failed? Did your solo fall from the sky? Is there a video of it somewhere? Is there a way to check pods preflight other then a feel and listen test?

What happened when your motor pod failed? Did your solo fall from the sky? Is there a video of it somewhere? Is there a way to check pods preflight other then a feel and listen test?

No idea, it just went up. 9 seconds later just took a major dive. Video wasnt shooting yet at that moment cuz I had very little space left on that particular card
so I wanted to fire it up in the air once I was framed just right. As for pod maintenance no idea, one of the other more experienced people might chime in on that
but ive heard after 150 hours or something like that they should be replaced. I was far from that 150, perhaps at 80 or 90 hours in.

Last edited:
Yea I wish these motor pods were a bit more predictable as well, with the reports of pods failing I'm nervous to fly over water or a lot of places I normally wouldn't be concerned. I mean if 150 hours is accurate I get about 18 mins or less a pack so that's a lot of flights for anyone to have since release. I'd say I have a couple hundred packs through mine which would be fine and I've not had any failure yet thankfully, but makes me nervous none the less.

Just today I went to the a lake, but every time I went over it the thought of folks pods failing was in the back of my mind. I'm super happy still, I just need to quit basing my confidence off reported issues I guess since its been flawless basically so far. Had concerns with my phantom flying away that kept me from trusting going beyond line of sight as well. I have no intention of flying past los now, but not having to worry because the garauntee was a big part of why I chose solo. Wanted to fly without stressing or worrying, but I guess it's still early on in this tech so stress frees a ways off still for any of the current multis.

Still love my solo, I'm just a rather safe than sorry kinda guy with my stuff. Anyway just my thoughts, fly safe and enjoy folks. I'm headed to bed soon so I can get up and out before sunrise to fly a few more packs and put mpcc to work a bit more.

Reactions: Nerius
Yea I wish these motor pods were a bit more predictable as well, with the reports of pods failing I'm nervous to fly over water or a lot of places I normally wouldn't be concerned. I mean if 150 hours is accurate I get about 18 mins or less a pack so that's a lot of flights for anyone to have since release. I'd say I have a couple hundred packs through mine which would be fine and I've not had any failure yet thankfully, but makes me nervous none the less.

Just today I went to the a lake, but every time I went over it the thought of folks pods failing was in the back of my mind. I'm super happy still, I just need to quit basing my confidence off reported issues I guess since its been flawless basically so far. Had concerns with my phantom flying away that kept me from trusting going beyond line of sight as well. I have no intention of flying past los now, but not having to worry because the garauntee was a big part of why I chose solo. Wanted to fly without stressing or worrying, but I guess it's still early on in this tech so stress frees a ways off still for any of the current multis.

Still love my solo, I'm just a rather safe than sorry kinda guy with my stuff. Anyway just my thoughts, fly safe and enjoy folks. I'm headed to bed soon so I can get up and out before sunrise to fly a few more packs and put mpcc to work a bit more.

agreed, dont base your confidence our experiences but its always good to know in case anything happens.
does anyone know if 3dr still covers flyaways/crashes AFTER the warranty if its not user error or is it just during,
id hope it extended afterwards too.

I see that the flyaway guarantee does extend past the year warranty, but it really doesn't specify. The wording seems that it's for as long as you own the bird, but I assume there are plenty of stipulations to this. 3rd party apps or mods obviously exclude you, otherwise I'd assume if it's a software or gps bug we should be covered. I'm sure if pods go out or other worn out parts are responsible past the warranty it's on us, but if it's at the fault of the pixhawk or the gps that's likely what's covered long term. Don't take my word on this though, this is just my take on the statements 3dr made.

Maybe Ian would have a bit more accurate info as far as what is and is not covered.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks