Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

Notice when you now fly in loiter really fast, solo holds it altitude.
before the update i noticed it tended to slowly drop out of the sky.

Interesting. The release notes said that holding altitude should win over speed only in guided mode, which on the Solo is what all the Smart Shots, and RTH/RTM use. Normal flight modes should not be effected by that. It certainly possible they made it have that effect on everything and the release notes just don't say so though. I will try it out in Fly and Manual (Loiter and Alt Hold) this weekend and see what it does.

Reactions: carpy
Sounds good. Nothing wrong with waiting until P2P/Jubalr/tjones/Xor grabs it and tests too.

Not just you, but I want to remind others that we should always proceed with caution and certainly put the firmware on your "test" Solo first. If you don't have a test system, wait for others to test for you. :)

I plan to drop it on my Solo tonight and test it this weekend - once temps get above freezing here in NJ....

Reactions: carpy
Interesting. The release notes said that holding altitude should win over speed only in guided mode, which on the Solo is what all the Smart Shots, and RTH/RTM use. Normal flight modes should not be effected by that. It certainly possible they made it have that effect on everything and the release notes just don't say so though. I will try it out in Fly and Manual (Loiter and Alt Hold) this weekend and see what it does.

it defiantly does not drop anymore, at about 180 feet if i spanked her over about 500 feet she would drop a good 20-30 feet.

now it was all but a foot into the wind or with it (10 mph on the ground according to my anemometer) so probably nearly double that at that altitude.

Reactions: tjones
That's awesome. I've always felt that in any altitude managed flight mode in Arducopter should have had this behavior from the start. I never asked the devs why they didn't do it though. If 3DR has made this a feature across all the modes on the Solo's version, I'm very happy about that. Did you notice if it behaved the same way in Alt Hold (manual) too?

Reactions: speatuk
That's awesome. I've always felt that in any altitude managed flight mode in Arducopter should have had this behavior from the start. I never asked the devs why they didn't do it though. If 3DR has made this a feature across all the modes on the Solo's version, I'm very happy about that. Did you notice if it behaved the same way in Alt Hold (manual) too?

No I never got that far I was just having a great time watching it disappear (I have the polar pro lights and it was getting dusk I could see it over 900 feet away.) I was so much fun not having to control the altitude at the same time.

I'll give it a go in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tjones and carpy

Just going through my flight logs and with the wind 40 mph over a 300 feet flight it dropped a foot then picked it back up so lost no altitude.

Into the wind 30 mph same distance same drop climb.

So yes according to my flight logs it now holds altitude in loiter.

Reactions: tjones
And in the past, it would have let you exceed that speed and altitude would decay, right?

The fact that it popped back up is very telling. Before, if altitude decayed due to speed, it would not climb back up when you slowed down. It would remain at whatever altitude you were at when you slowed down. Or, it would stay in pieces in a smoking hole in the ground :). Sounds like it is detecting the decay in altitude, reducing lean and thereby reducing speed to get back up where it belongs. Awesome.

Reactions: speatuk
And in the past, it would have let you exceed that speed and altitude would decay, right?

The fact that it popped back up is very telling. Before, if altitude decayed due to speed, it would not climb back up when you slowed down. It would remain at whatever altitude you were at when you slowed down. Or, it would stay in pieces in a smoking hole in the ground :). Sounds like it is detecting the decay in altitude, reducing lean and thereby reducing speed to get back up where it belongs. Awesome.

Yep
Yep
and yep.

oh and yep AWESOME

Help please, I did the transfer to firmware folder and deleted the old file, and then re-booted Solo, but no lights and sound after powering on, did I do something wrong??? Should I delete the old file after the reboot??

Help please, I did the transfer to firmware folder and deleted the old file, and then re-booted Solo, but no lights and sound after powering on, did I do something wrong??? Should I delete the old file after the reboot??
That's not a step in the upgrade. There's likely a reason for not deleting the original file. You are talking about the file in the loaded subdirectory, correct?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's not a step in the upgrade. There's likely a reason for not deleting the original file. You are talking about the file in the loaded subdirectory, correct?

Which step are you talking about? Deleting 1.3.1 file?
I transferred the 1.5.2 file to the firmware folder and then rebooted Solo, nothing happened.

Which step are you talking about? Deleting 1.3.1 file?
I transferred the 1.5.2 file to the firmware folder and then rebooted Solo, nothing happened.
Yes. Why would you delete the original firmware file?

I followed exact steps on the first post, except deleting the old file. Solo still powers on and still show 1.3.1 firmware. Anything I can do to trigger the update? I thought it starts automaticallly

Yes. Why would you delete the original firmware file?

I thought in order for it to recognized and update, I will need to delete the old file... sorry... any solution?

I followed exact steps on the first post, except deleting the old file. Solo still powers on and still show 1.3.1 firmware. Anything I can do to trigger the update? I thought it starts automaticallly
My guess is Solo needs to see the old firmware file on Initial load. It sees the new firmware file in the firmware directory and on the next power cycle, loads it to the loaded directory and begins the upgrade.

I thought in order for it to recognized and update, I will need to delete the old file... sorry... any solution?
If you can still access it via Winscp , then a copy of that file put back to the loaded directory should work. That's my guess.
My guess is Solo needs to see the old firmware file on Initial load. It sees the new firmware file in the firmware directory and on the next power cycle, loads it to the loaded directory and begins the upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig