ATC Notification - How to notify EWR, or what to do when you can't notify?

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to be able to fly safely & legally for fun in my home area. My issue is that I can't seem to get in contact with ATC at Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) to notify them per regulations. I've tried the phone numbers in several of the flying apps, as well as whatever I could find from google. Whenever I call, I get one of three responses:

1. How did you get this number? You are the third person to call this week and ask about drones. We don't have anything to do with them.

2. Oh, I know what you need. That is handled by the military arm of our airport, let me transfer you. When they transfer me, I spoke to someone who pointed me to the FAA site to request a waiver (which I thought you don't need for 'flying for fun').

3. A recording that simply says 'nobody is available to take your call'. No option to leave a voicemail, no identifying information.

I'm not looking to fly very close to the airport, it's just that the 5-mile boundary cuts directly through two possible local flying locations and I'd like to avoid trouble. Any suggestions?

dP9AVBG.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela