App Crash Woes

Reaction score
Hello team,

I have had a look through the forum but am yet to find a suitable solution - apologies for the already covered ground.

I have recently bought a 3DR Solo. The hardware is all working great but the app - as has been referenced in other posts - has been a nightmare. I have been running off an iPhone 6 with the latest iOS and it crashes every time I press 'go-fly'.

I then tried using the only non ios device I have which is a kindle fire - this doesn't have access to Google Play services which upset the app but I managed to download it and get it almost workable - although the app clearly wasn't happy and did keep crashing.

I need to use the drone for filming from a GoPro.

This has taken considerable time and I'm at the end of my teather and need a solution.

Q: Will just buying a cheap android tablet running Kitkat or similar solve my problems?

Q: Are there any other third party apps I should try? I have tried QGroundControl but that was not suitable for filming really and very clunky - I couldn't control the camera record through the gimble etc.

OR do I try and get shirty with the company that sold it to me and ask them to take it back (I feel this may be difficult as it's not really their fault)

Many thanks for your help.

I've had that happen once or twice too. A complete shutdown of the iPad usually solved it. YMMV

@Chrome92- I searched and found lots of threads reporting problems with the iPhone 6 but no solutions either.

I have an iPad mini 3 but primarily use a Nexus 7 (2013) so I can run a 3rd party app called Solex. The 3DR app runs fine on either one.

If nobody comes up with a solution, your only options would be to contact 3DR tech support via chat, return it where you bought it (if possible) or buy a different iOS or android device.

Reactions: Barramundi
The latest version of iOS doesn't play well with Solo.
I'd strongly recommend you consider getting an inexpensive WiFi only tablet and install Solex. Solex will cost you $30, but it is light years ahead of the stock app (and getting better every day), but only runs on Android.
There are lots of threads (and at least one sticky) on Solex and Android tablets.

Neither 3dr Solo or Solex runs on any Acer device I have tried. Avoid MediaTek processors. As for others... Fine until you hit Go Fly

I run a Samsung Tab, I would get pretty consistent App crashes as well. And usually at the worst time like mid setting up smart shot.

Dropped Solo, picked up Solex, never looked back.

No crashes to date.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Same issue here. Neither of my iOS devices, iPhone 6s & iPad 4, will let me view the video on the Solo app. I went and bought a Galaxy tab A 7.0 and it runs the app perfectly, no crashes so far. Can't wait to finally try Solex too.

If you only have an iOS device, give SidePilot a go, support for 3DR video is coming very soon (in week or two max)

SidePilot.net

Feature suggestions on the forum are encouraged!

Does sidepilot now support Fpv?
I read on the (sidepilot) forum one guy says it does.

Does sidepilot now support Fpv?
I read on the (sidepilot) forum one guy says it does.

Yep! Currently supports HTTP, MJPEG and RTP video streams.

If your not using Solo, then it's abit finicky to get video to your device (most people use either a raspberry Pi, or you can use the analog video to wifi device sold on the SidePilot store)

If you only have an iOS device, give SidePilot a go, support for 3DR video is coming very soon (in week or two max)

SidePilot.net

Feature suggestions on the forum are encouraged!

This is good news! Just bought this copter and found out about the app issues. Glad to see someone is working on a solution. I bought sidepilot and got it all configured. Thank you for your hard work, Tom.

I'm not sure if 10.3 introduced VPN problems that are causing the crashes but I read this on 9to5Mac this morning

Apple has begun rolling out the second beta of iOS 10.3.2 to developers
Today’s release notes are sparse, but do note that third-party VPN app issues have been resolved.

Fixed in this Release

Third-party VPN apps should now work as expected

I believe Solo runs a VPN (virtual private network) yes?
Fingers crossed

Aussie

This is good news! Just bought this copter and found out about the app issues. Glad to see someone is working on a solution. I bought sidepilot and got it all configured. Thank you for your hard work, Tom.
What did you have to do to configure SidePilot?

This just in on the 3DR Facebook Page

3D Robotics Inc.
5 hrs ·
The 3DR Solo iOS app is currently experiencing a conflict with the iOS firmware version 10.3.1. If you are on an earlier version of iOS, we suggest that you do not upgrade to version 10.3.1 until this issue is addressed. This does not affect Android users. We are actively working on a resolution, and will have an update shortly.

Fingers crossed

Aussie

What did you have to do to configure SidePilot?

Hi!

To get SidePilot going for Solo, just navigate to the settings page and select 3DR Solo under connection settings, then navigate to the Video Stream page -> settings and select Solo there. I will be making this seamless in the next version.

If you are having any other issues getting SidePilot working, send me an email at [email protected] and id be happy to help!

Cheers,
Tom

3dr recently came out with a fix for this problem and it works perfectly I'm glad they still have software engineers working for them.
Guess because it's such a small fix but important they didn't change the software version.
Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela