Anyone lost gps fix with the Mro upgrade yet

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just a quick one.
Has anyone actually lost gps or had a fly away with the M Robotics upgrade gps board yet?

Just asking as I can't seam to find this question anywhere on the board.

Think this should be pinned.

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Has anyone lost GPS" is pretty open ended and without context. The vague answer to the vague question is yes. Fly under a bridge, under a tree line, in between buildings, or inside a building and you will lose GPS regardless of what device you use. Fly during a time with a high K index (space weather that interferes with GPS) and you can lose it. It's not immune.

Now, if you mean has anyone lost GPS for no otherwise good reason like the crappy 3DR GPS tends to do, I've never seen a single complaint here or any of the facebook groups for the solo. It is rock solid. If a lock is possible, it gets one and keeps it.

"Has anyone lost GPS" is pretty open ended and without context. The vague answer to the vague question is yes. Fly under a bridge, under a tree line, in between buildings, or inside a building and you will lose GPS regardless of what device you use. Fly during a time with a high K index (space weather that interferes with GPS) and you can lose it. It's not immune.

Now, if you mean has anyone lost GPS for no otherwise good reason like the crappy 3DR GPS tends to do, I've never seen a single complaint here or any of the facebook groups for the solo. It is rock solid. If a lock is possible, it gets one and keeps it.

Yeah I was far to vague there.
I completely agree with you.

You did actually give me the answer I was looking for.
Your just better at asking questions than me.

I bow to you.

Thank you for the reply and really glad to hear this.
:)

-Steve

Hi all.
Just a quick one.
Has anyone actually lost gps or had a fly away with the M Robotics upgrade gps board yet?

Just asking as I can't seam to find this question anywhere on the board.

Think this should be pinned.

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup!! I just did yesterday!! Hahaha. And now Solo wont hold GPS for more than 3 minutes, no matter where Im at. HELP!!

I lost GPS with the upgrade yesterday after noticing it was only getting 11-12 sats (my old bird got 19-22 consistently). Went into manual mode just long enough for me to crap my pants, then went back into GPS mode. I flew it home, landed and loaded it up. This is on a brand new Solo that I did the wifi and the GPS upgrade. I never flew it before doing the upgrades, but it has acted strangely since the first flight. It has prompted me several times to do the level calibration, and a number of those were unsuccessful and I had to repeat. Also did the hdmi ribbon cable upgrade if that matters.

mine loses GPS for a few seconds now and then....this is after doing the MRO 'upgrade' and showing 18 - 20 sats. Question is...is the MRO a plug 'n play upgrade or do you have to do some set up on the Solo?

mine loses GPS for a few seconds now and then....this is after doing the MRO 'upgrade' and showing 18 - 20 sats. Question is...is the MRO a plug 'n play upgrade or do you have to do some set up on the Solo?

mRo GPS is a plug and play upgrade. Did you replace the stock shielding or upgrade to the V2 version?

Is this on the ground or in the air?

Geez, my old Solo was rock solid GPS wise after the mRo and 3DR shield. I'm thinking about it on a new Solo even though I'm just going to use it to test out/play with my Samsung 3D cameras. Let us know how you come out.

Did you check that the connectors were firmly attached? Cables also fine? I have not done the MRO upgrade yet but have been reading a lot about it. Nowhere I read about it behaving like that.

I upgraded my solo's to the M Robotics GPS and yes I have lost GPS signal a couple of times, however as Pedals2Paddles said, where I was flying was the main issue. Near a re-enforced concrete bridge with metal throughout, in the woods surrounded by tree's. Luckily I followed the #1 helpful piece of advice here and had already configured Button A to fly manually. First time was a bit nerve wracking but eventually you get the hang of it. Of course, the reason I upgraded the GPS to begin with was because I had Rev A boards and getting a GPS lock was just terrible (5 mins plus or not at all). I also installed the Rev 2 shield on all the solos as well. I haven't flown anywhere near tall buildings or in a suburban area, but I'm guessing that type of environment is going to mess with GPS signals anyway.

Reactions: John Githens
I upgraded my solo's to the M Robotics GPS and yes I have lost GPS signal a couple of times, however as Pedals2Paddles said, where I was flying was the main issue. Near a re-enforced concrete bridge with metal throughout, in the woods surrounded by tree's. Luckily I followed the #1 helpful piece of advice here and had already configured Button A to fly manually. First time was a bit nerve wracking but eventually you get the hang of it. Of course, the reason I upgraded the GPS to begin with was because I had Rev A boards and getting a GPS lock was just terrible (5 mins plus or not at all). I also installed the Rev 2 shield on all the solos as well. I haven't flown anywhere near tall buildings or in a suburban area, but I'm guessing that type of environment is going to mess with GPS signals anyway.

Completely agree! I've used military grade GPS and it lost signal occasionally. Environment is always going to be a factor.

I have a New solo. I put in the MRI gps and wifi upgrade. I am having issues with the GPS as well. Everything is updated and calibrated. I am having issues where just sitting on the ground outside after lock with 12 plus SATs, it losses lock often. On my second flight, only 100 feet away- 30 ft high, I got the manual fly request with GPS lock lost. 15 SATs and had to manually fly back. This makes me very nervous. I am a very experienced apm/ pixhawk pilot. In the past, my experience has been-- after putting gps on a mast, all was good. Is that going to be the case here?? The flight was in front of house, un obstructed. I check solar activity before all my flights. All was good. I will notice just when hovering around, it is usually locked in and is very accurate, but will on occasion drift hard, then stop. Props are balanced. I used the new 3dr v2 shield as well. When using pixhawk 1 in past with newest gps on a mast in the very area, I've never had an issue. In fact, anywhere for That matter. Losing GPS lock with 12 plus SATs is something I definitely am not use to happening. In past I could always just hook up to mission planner and get some Diagnostics done. Even so, I never had a GPS lose with so many sats. I am a bit out of my element here with the new solo System and don't know if maybe a GPS on a masked would help or if I should just go back to pixhawk one. Could someone please help/ advise??

In the middle of the street. I guess my point is, with apm and pixhawk 1, in this exact spot, and m8n on a mast, I've never had anything like this happen. That's why it throwing me off. I'm getting ready to go out to my normal flying spot in an open field and I'm going to try it again and I will let you know. I just wish somehow I could get access to Mission planner in the same fashion the old APM and pixhawk as well. I will keep you posted on my flight this morning.

I have a New solo. I put in the MRI gps and wifi upgrade. I am having issues with the GPS as well. Everything is updated and calibrated. I am having issues where just sitting on the ground outside after lock with 12 plus SATs, it losses lock often. On my second flight, only 100 feet away- 30 ft high, I got the manual fly request with GPS lock lost. 15 SATs and had to manually fly back. This makes me very nervous. I am a very experienced apm/ pixhawk pilot. In the past, my experience has been-- after putting gps on a mast, all was good. Is that going to be the case here?? The flight was in front of house, un obstructed. I check solar activity before all my flights. All was good. I will notice just when hovering around, it is usually locked in and is very accurate, but will on occasion drift hard, then stop. Props are balanced. I used the new 3dr v2 shield as well. When using pixhawk 1 in past with newest gps on a mast in the very area, I've never had an issue. In fact, anywhere for That matter. Losing GPS lock with 12 plus SATs is something I definitely am not use to happening. In past I could always just hook up to mission planner and get some Diagnostics done. Even so, I never had a GPS lose with so many sats. I am a bit out of my element here with the new solo System and don't know if maybe a GPS on a masked would help or if I should just go back to pixhawk one. Could someone please help/ advise??
Before this thread bounces more among the usual related topics and instances of failures and proposed fixes, it might be a good idea to take some time to read the early sections of this post from Deep South Robotics, even though most of the post is about advanced navigation using satellite signals. In the field on some jobs where there is a higher risk of GNSS unlock, I will check the GPS Plan app on my iPhone to see which satellites could possibly be "seen", at that time, by any of the receivers on my drones. That app also quickly shows which times of the day are better than others for the maximum number of satellites in view from my location.

More frequently I will check UAV Forecast before going to a field location (and later on my iPhone with the app) to see the estimated Kp Index value and other forecast conditions. All of that operator prep is to gauge the risk that I may have to switch to non-GNSS ("manual") control in that location after a launch. As hinted in the Deep South post, the constellation of satellites being used in one time period may not be those that are used in the next time period. I have three mRo receivers (and one from Drotek), on masts, with the newer 3DR shield.

Even then there can be an unlock situation, as happened three times on one job while hovering low to the ground in deep woods on a hillside when the Kp Index value was Not Good. A quote attributed to Louis Pasteur: "Fate favors the prepared mind." Some practice and muscle memory on the control sticks helps too. If you don't have that experience yet, in many situations you can raise the throttle stick to go higher and give yourself time to regain your composure and decide what to do next. By that time your Solo may be up high enough to regain lock.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc