Altitude Anxiety

Reaction score
OK, I'm a damned good pilot of RC planes and copters that far precedes my dealing with quads and Solo in particular.
So, I got the living s##t scared outta me yesterday. I'd charged 5 batteries and was going to do an informal examination of our local Middle and High schools. They're leaking during heavy rain and no one seems to know why.
Now, I've been getting a good 18 minutes from all my batteries. It never occurred to me to be careful about my first battery, the one included with Solo.
Picture this : I took it straight up like the Space Shuttle to get shots of the roof. At launch, my battery showed 92 percent. Pretty good!
I headed way upstairs, reaching 340 feet danged quickly. I took Solo a about a quarter mile away to get these shots.
Now, get this: when i got directly over my target the battery was around 85 percent. Plenty of time, right?
Things were going well indeed - I was getting some good video, and since I'd gotten my shots I just goofed around up there awhile. The battery was about 60 percent.
Well. Suddenly and without warning, my phone hollered that the battery was at 30 percent. I'd paid absolutely no attention to it - I've made far, far more risky flights.
Now ponder this for a second. If you're flying an RC plane, you simply glide gently down.
If you're flying a copter it's almost the same - you autorotate your way back to safety - no big deal.
With a drone? A quad copter? Well.... Lose power and it's all over, gentlemen,
Well, I immediately turned around for home. I'm 300 feet up, pretty far away - and my phone was screaming that I now had 5% power.
I was standing on a sea of blacktop and plain cement. 5% power, and I needed to drop down over 300 feet and simultaneously fly back to my position.
I saw it in my mind: the props simply stopping dead, Solo dropping like a rock, destroying itself and one of my now fairly rare GoPros.
Remember : I really did have only 5 percent. There was absolutely no way that I could get home safely. As I was hauling butt home, it dropped to 4%... 3%... And then, 2 %.
I was now directly over myself but still damned high: 140 feet. And then my battery dropped to zero. Absolutely, totally dead.
I was thinking about what a pain it'd be to replace my GoPro. Solo was coming down, but nowhere near fast enough. It shouldn't have still been flying at all. I figured it was at least 100 feet up. Not good.
Well - those props kept running with apparently zero power. I ended up having a pretty normal landing. Except for the fact my battery was dead.
Damn. Talk about dodging a bullet, and some great luck thrown in.
But here's the thing : I was absolutely terrified I'd see my Solo basically nuking itself on the pavement. There was no way on Earth I should have been able to land at all. There should have been Solo and GoPro parts scattered around all the way to the horizon. But remember, always when flying any where near the presence of people - double and quadruple check your gear and remind yourself why you're doing something this dangerous in the first place.
I suppose I'm trying to say that:
1 - Be damned careful. Don't fly over people, no exceptions.
2 - Pay very, very close attention to practical mods... in this case being a parachute. Get one immediately. If you can invent a good one I'll be your first customer.
Still though: I did get some great video!

Reactions: Blade
Good job on a safe landing. Now I would lov.e to see those videos. Now my question is- is that normal for the solo battery to deplete that fast?

Actually it's not normal at all. My Solo should have been reduced to raw components and shattered innards. Some guys here report battery problems, but I don't recall any that depleted that fast before. Literally, it dropped off to dangerous levels in a space of seconds.
Which actually leads me to believe that the so-called "Smart" battery isn't really that smart. The mere fact that I landed successfully with a reading of zero power means something isn't kosher.
The strange thing is that I charged that battery back up and it performed as well as it ever has. I think it's time to start hauling a multimeter with me!

what was the ambient temperature ?

had this behaviour at -15°C where the reading jumped from 28% to 6% in about 5 sec

Actually it's not normal at all. My Solo should have been reduced to raw components and shattered innards. Some guys here report battery problems, but I don't recall any that depleted that fast before. Literally, it dropped off to dangerous levels in a space of seconds.
Which actually leads me to believe that the so-called "Smart" battery isn't really that smart. The mere fact that I landed successfully with a reading of zero power means something isn't kosher.
The strange thing is that I charged that battery back up and it performed as well as it ever has. I think it's time to start hauling a multimeter with me!
Yep, mine took 21 minutes to hit 0%, but was still surprised to land normally at that level. But a word of advise, don't plan on it being able to do that every time..

Been there done that, last summer with a new SOLO I was shooting a pano over the lake.
Took off with 98% went out 500 ft and up 600Ft. Perfect...not so much. When I went into smart shot I saw battery was at 15% in less than 5 minutes audio alert seconds before that at 25%. So I immediately put it in B - stabilize and rapidly descended home. It made it back but with 0%. I sent in the log to 3DR and they replaced the battery. Now I have to monitor battery usage very carefully since all my batteries are getting old. I have 20 batteries all hold at least 10 min. I've been slow to retire the batteries even though I have 10 new in the box. With that said, I plan multiple flights of no more than 10 minutes each for missions.
I did loose a SOLO in the water unrecovered last FALL, 3DR couldn't determine the cause. I was coming into land over a pond about 200 ft out and at about 25% in Stabilize. The motors stopped, the Solo flipped and sunk to the bottom. SOLO/GBHB/PolarLights lost for ever. The worse part it was a Peau GPHB w/ 3.97 lens which had it been recovered would of at least been useable.
Lots of lessons learned here.
Drive on...fly hard

Nothing like the first time....I've had two repeat offenders, they now sit waiting for a transplant.

A lot to be learned from these stories shared. Like Dash, "Hope for the best, plan for the worse".

so is it safe to say that the claimed 25min flying time is realistically just 10 mins. if that's the case then there's a problem with this battery - there should be a recall (wishful thinking).

You may get 25 mins on a new setup with no camera or gimbal, but you'll rarely even crack 20 with them on.

You may get 25 mins on a new setup with no camera or gimbal, but you'll rarely even crack 20 with them on.
To tell the truth, I'm considering adding a fairly light Lipo as a backup to ensure a safe return home. I fly indoor planes quite a bit in the high school gym. A 11.4 mah 3 cell Lipo weighs next to nothing, and they're cheap. I'm not entirely sure how I'd rig it up though. I'm thinking about just using a 2 channel RC transmitter and a couple of micro servos. One servo would trigger the backup battery - not really hard to do - and the second servo to trigger the (currently nonexistent but I'm gonna change that) parachute.
It'll be an interesting project anyhow!

To tell the truth, I'm considering adding a fairly light Lipo as a backup to ensure a safe return home. I fly indoor planes quite a bit in the high school gym. A 11.4 mah 3 cell Lipo weighs next to nothing, and they're cheap. I'm not entirely sure how I'd rig it up though. I'm thinking about just using a 2 channel RC transmitter and a couple of micro servos. One servo would trigger the backup battery - not really hard to do - and the second servo to trigger the (currently nonexistent but I'm gonna change that) parachute.
did someone here try to upgrade the solo battery into s larger capacity battery?

Me too....I've yet to know of anyone having done a cell transplant I've got one split open, just need a how and what to guide.

There is someone that did this on the Solo Mod Club on Facebook. Search for Tattu

you need 4 LiPo cells to get 14,8V

There is someone that did this on the Solo Mod Club on Facebook. Search for Tattu
I stand corrected, I had forgotten his effort until last evening when he revealed the 6200 effort. Still not ready for masses just yet though...

you need 4 LiPo cells to get 14,8V
Yes, you're right - a brain malfunction on my part. The cells I'm talking about are the super-small ones that power small indoor planes. They're teensy, about an inch and a half long and a tad more than a eighth inch thick. I'm pretty sure you know what they are, but I'll take a pic when I get home and post it here. If you remember the original Dentine gum, that's almost exactly the size.
They have a very small capacity, and four would likely provide only a single minute flight time. Still, that will likely be enough to get home!

they need to provide at least 20A, don´t know if they can provide this current
also the additional weight will reduce the flight time on your main battery.....

The newest Solo firmware 1.5.3 and Master both now account for the time needed to return home in the battery failsafe. No need to complicate matters by adding a separate battery. Just plan on being back on the ground with main some battery left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle