Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Reaction score
Website
www.taniagail.com
Anyone currently using Premiere Pro CC to edit their aerial footage? I seem to have difficulty in removing prop shadows when editing with Premiere. I'm fairly new at using this software and recently ditched Win 8.1 for Apple Mac running OS X Yosemite. In the past, I have used Sony Vegas for video editing and now feel unsure of how to edit well in this new software.

My last video shot with a GoPro Hero Black 3+ with 3-axis gimbal attached to a DJI P2, clearly shows the props in frame. Arghh, so frustrating to edit at this time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also, I want to thank those who have posted their first flight videos of the Solo. I'm still considering both the P3 and Solo and will make my decision when I return from Iceland. Your thoughts and impressions of this quadcopter are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: FPVQTR and Raybro
I am editing with CC but don't have an answer for you on the shadows.

But I will say that for no forward motion and what appears to be little wind you seem to have a lot of prop in the frame. Maybe its the gimbal you are using but I think I would try to work that out so you have less post work. What gimbal is it?

Reactions: TaniaGail
I think if you play with that angle you will lose the props for sure and the reflection will be different off the props.

I'm flying the P2 with the H3-3D gimbal and the H3 +. Works nice, I just hope the gimbal for the Solo works as well. I have noticed with the solo, they recommend setting the camera in medium frame width. In wide, the legs get in the picture. All I have seen are static mount videos but the gimbal will place the camera in the same area.
As suggested with the camera tilted slightly would help. I've seen some GoPros with lens hoods as well that may prevent the prop shadows.

Can't say how to get rid of props in video -- easier if it's a single frame from a photo. General rule of thumb is not to have the camera pointed straight ahead if you are going to lean the bird forward.

I haven't seem too many props in the Solo footage I've seen so far which is good, and I've also had a way easier time keeping the props out of footage on my P3P since they moved the camera forward to make room for the sonar. But what I WILL say is the Solo footage I've seen so far has a lot of landing gear in the shots -- for the life of me I can't imagine why as this seems like a design flaw to me. Maybe it'll be be less of an issue when the gimbal is out?

I'll reserve final judgement when the gimbal is out, but for now it's a lot of fish-eye, shaky, jello, and landing gear.

I'm flying the P2 with the H3-3D gimbal and the H3 +. Works nice, I just hope the gimbal for the Solo works as well. I have noticed with the solo, they recommend setting the camera in medium frame width. In wide, the legs get in the picture. All I have seen are static mount videos but the gimbal will place the camera in the same area.
As suggested with the camera tilted slightly would help. I've seen some GoPros with lens hoods as well that may prevent the prop shadows.
Is that all it takes to not get the landing gear in the shots?

Can't say how to get rid of props in video -- easier if it's a single frame from a photo. General rule of thumb is not to have the camera pointed straight ahead if you are going to lean the bird forward.

I haven't seem too many props in the Solo footage I've seen so far which is good, and I've also had a way easier time keeping the props out of footage on my P3P since they moved the camera forward to make room for the sonar. But what I WILL say is the Solo footage I've seen so far has a lot of landing gear in the shots -- for the life of me I can't imagine why as this seems like a design flaw to me. Maybe it'll be be less of an issue when the gimbal is out?

I'll reserve final judgement when the gimbal is out, but for now it's a lot of fish-eye, shaky, jello, and landing gear.

I've seen the same, Rothgarr. Like you I am reserving judgement until the gimbals are released. What I am looking is how well the quadcopter is handling basic flight. Are there any reports of excessive fly-aways or crashes. Shipping issues , of course, are not a problem for this fence-sitter :)

Anyone currently using Premiere Pro CC to edit their aerial footage? I seem to have difficulty in removing prop shadows when editing with Premiere. I'm fairly new at using this software and recently ditched Win 8.1 for Apple Mac running OS X Yosemite. In the past, I have used Sony Vegas for video editing and now feel unsure of how to edit well in this new software.

My last video shot with a GoPro Hero Black 3+ with 3-axis gimbal attached to a DJI P2, clearly shows the props in frame. Arghh, so frustrating to edit at this time.

Also, I want to thank those who have posted their first flight videos of the Solo. I'm still considering both the P3 and Solo and will make my decision when I return from Iceland. Your thoughts and impressions of this quadcopter are greatly appreciated.
Though it may not apply to all of your shooting requirements, if you use the Go Pro in medium and narrow lens setting you can eliminate most of the prop stuff. Also, what angle is the camera set in the holder. By that I mean pointing straight out ? No way to avoid props like that. As an old run and gun photog for ABC I learned over the years with deadlines and stressed out reporters at my side to "shoot to edit" , by that I mean I always try to anticipate what my client wants through pre production conversations and attempt to shoot to that specific script, story board. When I'm flying if I know that in the corners of the shot I need there is going to be props or prop reflection/shadow, I just adjust the quad further back, give me a little wider shot than what I need and then easily crop the props out of the corners ending up with the shot framed how I want without props. Same with the fish-eye in many instances. In CS 6 it's "transform" in the effects tab, but really all non-linear editing programs have a pretty simple way to crop . Just have to adjust and compensate framing while in the air shooting. That way I avoid a lot of the prop in the vid stuff. But without a gimbal your going to have to position the GO Pro at a downward angle to avoid prop stuff.

Haha, I used to slead at that exact park at the big hill on the left of the waterfall walking in from Krewstown Road, great memories.

I use Premiere Pro CC, and it does have a steep learning curve. You may be able to do something with After Effects in terms of removing props and shadow, but basically it's all there on the footage.

I suggest you try aiming your camera down slightly for next time. More important, I would get my GoPro changed out to a 5.4mm lens. It will make a world of difference in your videos, and because it is narrower, you shouldn't see the props or shadows at all.

No software is going to remove props unless you crop the image. You need to do one of two things or both. Shoot medium or narrow and tilt the camera a down a few degrees. I've shot plenty of footage from the same set up you have and never had the issue.

The below link was shot on Narrow with a GP 3

Reactions: Raybro
No software is going to remove props unless you crop the image. You need to do one of two things or both. Shoot medium or narrow and tilt the camera a down a few degrees. I've shot plenty of footage from the same set up you have and never had the issue.

The below link was shot on Narrow with a GP 3

Nice video BTW. Smooth shooting.

Thank you :)

And so far after owning a P1, P2, Inspire and a Solo for a day my P2 which I had for over a year gave me zero issues. The Inspire was a huge disappointment, wobble in arms and had to go back and now the Solo with the App hiccups.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea