Abject failure so far

My bet is still on him skipping steps and doing it wrong. He's given me no reason at all to believe he's doing anything right.

It sounds like the same issue I had, actually. There seem to be a large number of these, when you look at the posts. I wonder why. When you look back through the posts, there is no mention of this sort of thing, but what he describes is EXACTLY what happened with mine, and when you look at a lot of controller issue posts, it seems to be common at this point.

Hey guys - lets try and go easy on the newbies. Based on the number who ask me to delete their accounts after their first post, like kevcdecker, this has become one of the least friendly forums of the bunch.

Where were you when they were beating me up? Hahaha!

I completely agree with being civil. I honestly don't think anyone was that hard on the guy. Considering one of his first posts was to bash the system for not using the camera he should have known it doesn't use... There were a lot of adjectives that I didn't see used that could have been. Heck, like I said, when I rage posted when my 4th unit broke, some of these guys tore me a new one, called me a liar, an idiot, etc. I guess I see both sides of it.

In any case, 3DR shipped my replacement today (#5) and I ordered another one from B&H (#6) so we'll see what luck I have with these units.

Reactions: dmyhill
It sounds like the same issue I had, actually. There seem to be a large number of these, when you look at the posts. I wonder why. When you look back through the posts, there is no mention of this sort of thing, but what he describes is EXACTLY what happened with mine, and when you look at a lot of controller issue posts, it seems to be common at this point.
I wonder if it's the memory card coming loose in the controller? Someone mentioned that a while ago... I am really starting to think that a lot of Solos problems are loose connection related. These sudden failures strike me that way.

Push through.

Locked up controller

look at the above thread, 3dr may not be accepting sign ups, but you can send them help requests through the app, and they respond

I had the exact same issue that you have, and the instructions on that thread fixed the issue.

Hey, I didn't see what brand memory card that was. Do you think it's possible to download and transfer it's files to a better card? One thing I figure was that I had left my kit in the car, out in the cold, for a few days before it failed, some memory cards aren't "cool" with that....

I had same problem...learned that I was not following all the steps to update ,,.then found the answer ,..

1- Power off the units and close the Solo app
2- Perform a factory reset to the Solo and controller, make sure the orange light underneath the Solo blinks faster during the reset process.
- Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology
3- Once the units are reset connect to the Sololink but do not open the Solo app
4- Make sure the Orange light underneath the Solo is blinking slowly, if so, please perform the following:
- Please, press the pair button for 1 sec and look at the controller screen for the "detected new Solo" message
Once you see the message "detected new Solo perform the following: Press A, then B and hold both buttons down. Once the Controller vibrates, you can let go. Within 20 seconds, the Controller will show “Solo Paired."
5- Once the Solo and controller are paired, please, confirm the orange light underneath the Solo is solid now
6- Open the Solo app >> settings >> updates >> start the update
7 Once the update process finishes, please, restart the Solo app

following ALL these steps exactly worked for me, all good now.
hope this helps the next pilot with preflight update issues .
Cheers

Reactions: User Name
Thanks for the detailed instructions, I've never had to do a factory reset, and I had read previously that it was only recommend at the request of 3DR support. Not as apprehensive now... Although I still don't plan on doing it without reason.

It's too bad the OP didn't stick around, seems like patients was lacking in multiple fronts, and as complex as these things are, patients is really mandatory.

I think a lot of us like myself lacked patience as well...
I wasn't even around as a lurker when the thread got banned from Rc groups. I've been there for ten years and have never seen discussion of a whole product banned due to its inflammatory nature.
I really feel bad for the OP, I hope he contacts 3DR and they help him out

I think a lot of us like myself lacked patience as well...
I wasn't even around as a lurker when the thread got banned from Rc groups. I've been there for ten years and have never seen discussion of a whole product banned due to its inflammatory nature.
I really feel bad for the OP, I hope he contacts 3DR and they help him out

I don't know when he bailed but hopefully it was after we pointed out that they would. Besides, there really aren't any retailers that wouldn't take care of him in this day and age. Amazon, Best Buy, B&H, etc all have reasonable return policies. You'd have to be a newbie at life to not know that.

Got my Solo yesterday. Unboxed it, charged up the batteries, and downloaded the app to my iPhone. First off, I couldn't even register on the 3DR site. It kept saying unsuccessful registration.

Secondly, and more problematic, the controller boots up to the preflight update screen and hangs. No way to turn it off except to remove the battery. Tried the factory reset procedure several times. Same result.

Finally, I tried to mount my GoPro Hero 5 Black in the gimbal. Found out it doesn't fit.

So far this whole experience has been a complete waste of time and very disappointing.
First mistake is not going through all the manuals. Second mistake is not understanding the the company 3DR is not going to help much except for bug fixes. They are not updating anything and just let it ride out. Third, do not try to use apple devices with solo. Finally, the gopro hero 4 black is the a great camera and runs fine with the solo. Solo is a sweet drone, especially for the price if you understand how it works. Put the MRo GPS in, get a android tablet, buy the solex app, and do the firmware update and you have maybe the best small drone out. Just when i thought i my solo could get any better (Kelly) inventer of the solex app told me yesterday ay that they are currently doing another firmware update on the controller with a LOT of new things. You just got to know and research what you are doing.

First mistake is not going through all the manuals. Second mistake is not understanding the the company 3DR is not going to help much except for bug fixes. They are not updating anything and just let it ride out. Third, do not try to use apple devices with solo. Finally, the gopro hero 4 black is the a great camera and runs fine with the solo. Solo is a sweet drone, especially for the price if you understand how it works. Put the MRo GPS in, get a android tablet, buy the solex app, and do the firmware update and you have maybe the best small drone out. Just when i thought i my solo could get any better (Kelly) inventer of the solex app told me yesterday ay that they are currently doing another firmware update on the controller with a LOT of new things. You just got to know and research what you are doing.

I definitely agree on going over the manuals. I just got a new unit yesterday and following the procedure and a bit of patience had my bird flying no problem. You have to follow the steps, it's just that simple.

As far as the rest of that, well, I'm holding off on any warranty busting modifications until it's expired or 3DR is no more. Just my preference, no comment on your decisions.

I will share my experience as it relates to this thread. I bought my first Solo late last year. I read the manual, watched the instructional videos and signed up on this forum. First out of the box experience was flawless.

Fast forward a couple of months and after a price drop I went ahead and bought another Solo. I could never get the controller to download the initial software update. Similar to the OP's description. It would turn on and off etc. But that was it. I followed the instructions exactly, followed the troubleshooting instructions exactly. I tried the factory reset, pairing, all of that.

I even started a thread asking about what was up. One suggestion was to completely remove the battery and place back in then do a reset/pairing all over again.

Never could get it to work. I believe something was up with the controller. I noticed that after fully charging it, the battery the next day would need to be recharged.

Something was up, I read, I asked, I researched. End result, I returned it.

Last edited:
I figured that was it... I suspect when you pay less than the manufacturing cost for something you're probably not going to get the most stellar service. ;-)
I haven't had problems with getting tech help with 3DR but they do have different hours to be reached . Seems like you can't even log into your account unless they're open , so that is how i know that their open ... when i'm able to log into my account.

I will share my experience as it relates to this thread. I bought my first Solo late last year. I read the manual, watched the instructional videos and signed up on this forum. First out of the box experience was flawless.

Fast forward a couple of months and after a price drop I went ahead and bought another Solo. I could never get the controller to download the initial software update. Similar to the OP's description. It would turn on and off etc. But that was it. I followed the instructions exactly, followed the troubleshooting instructions exactly. I tried the factory reset, pairing, all of that.

I even started a thread asking about what was up. One suggestion was to completely remove the battery and place back in then do a reset/pairing all over again.

Never could get it to work. I believe something was up with the controller. I noticed that after fully charging it, the battery the next day would need to be recharged.

Something was up, I read, I asked, I researched. End result, I returned it.
Shoot, I wish you would have tried to remove the memory card in the controller... Hey wait that's exactly what mine did before it failed! Best Buy exchanged it after 3 months though.

Hey Kev
This is so sad because the Solo really is an amazing piece of work. As long as you see it in perspective: built in 2015, upgrades were done afterwards, and you have to update these. The Solo seems to be one of the most stable platforms around as long as you use it within the parameters it was designed for. And with Kelly around constantly upgrading Solex, you can't find a more cost-effective and reliable drone solution. I've done over 100 flights with number one and last week bought another Solo. She had her maiden flight yesterday, and I am pleased that she handles just as well as my first.

Reactions: dmyhill
Hey Kev
This is so sad because the Solo really is an amazing piece of work. As long as you see it in perspective: built in 2015, upgrades were done afterwards, and you have to update these. The Solo seems to be one of the most stable platforms around as long as you use it within the parameters it was designed for. And with Kelly around constantly upgrading Solex, you can't find a more cost-effective and reliable drone solution. I've done over 100 flights with number one and last week bought another Solo. She had her maiden flight yesterday, and I am pleased that she handles just as well as my first.

This guy is long gone.... You probably didn't read the entire thread. Hahaha!

Did you see an error message like this?

e95827c19a44f669a24b27b8a728778f.jpg
Shssssss that's supposed to be a secret. And yes this is the Border Collie responding not the id10t. , Frank

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
I have been using my solo for about 3 months. Guess just lucky because i'm pretty new at this and didn't do any upgrades or tweeking. Just followed manuel and its' been doing fine. I found out the 3 wouldnt work so bought a refurbished 4. Takes great videos and my LG tablet works fine. Found out the booting process is important and I do it this way: 1- turn on solo 2. connect tablet . 3. turn on controller. 4. connect tablet to solo app. 5. link to solo pw=solo####. 6. power on GoPro. 7. Push fly button.. From what I have read, some of these steps dont work for everyone and I dont have the answer. Just consider yourself lucky that you didnt pay $1400 for the drone. 3DR will not help, but there are some here that can help and there are some 3rd party suppliers for some of the parts.
I have a Traxxas Aton that works great and didn cost much more than the Solo. Traxxas has great customer service. The latest drone for me is the Hubsan 502S. Not so lucky -- Tried it out for first time this weekend and it is uncontrolable. Sending it back to Hubsan this week.. Win a few - lose a few !!!. Need some luck when droneing.
Bill Chrisman (74 year iold newbee)

I most assuredly did try to do the update. The fact is the controller freezes up as soon as it boots up. I can't get to the point where it does the update. In short, the thing is junk.
Kev two things to check. 1: check on the back of the controller through the air holes to see if you have a steady red led and a blinking yellow one if the yellow one is on steady it's toast. 2: try and unplug the battery give it a minute or two and try the reset again. Hope it works Dave

I have been using my solo for about 3 months. Guess just lucky because i'm pretty new at this and didn't do any upgrades or tweeking. Just followed manuel and its' been doing fine. I found out the 3 wouldnt work so bought a refurbished 4. Takes great videos and my LG tablet works fine. Found out the booting process is important and I do it this way: 1- turn on solo 2. connect tablet . 3. turn on controller. 4. connect tablet to solo app. 5. link to solo pw=solo####. 6. power on GoPro. 7. Push fly button.. From what I have read, some of these steps dont work for everyone and I dont have the answer. Just consider yourself lucky that you didnt pay $1400 for the drone. 3DR will not help, but there are some here that can help and there are some 3rd party suppliers for some of the parts.
I have a Traxxas Aton that works great and didn cost much more than the Solo. Traxxas has great customer service. The latest drone for me is the Hubsan 502S. Not so lucky -- Tried it out for first time this weekend and it is uncontrolable. Sending it back to Hubsan this week.. Win a few - lose a few !!!. Need some luck when droneing.
Bill Chrisman (74 year iold newbee)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986