Abject failure so far

K

kevcdecker

Got my Solo yesterday. Unboxed it, charged up the batteries, and downloaded the app to my iPhone. First off, I couldn't even register on the 3DR site. It kept saying unsuccessful registration.

Secondly, and more problematic, the controller boots up to the preflight update screen and hangs. No way to turn it off except to remove the battery. Tried the factory reset procedure several times. Same result.

Finally, I tried to mount my GoPro Hero 5 Black in the gimbal. Found out it doesn't fit.

So far this whole experience has been a complete waste of time and very disappointing.

The gimbal isn't made to work with the Hero 5, just the 3 & 4.

Kev(in?), I'm a Solo noob too... ordered my (outrageously cheap) solo last Tuesday and received it Friday. In the meantime I also discovered that I needed to upgrade the GPS (ordered), and then Friday I found out that both my android device and iPhone were too old to use with the solo, so spent some more on a Galaxy Tab. I'm also not able to register with 3dr (keeps throwing a json error for either Facebook or Google+). Anyway, I did get connected and out for a short flight today.

Preflight update... that's a required update I believe - you won't be able to fly until you complete it. I didn't try shutting down before completing it so can't help you with that... but I think you HAVE to do it before being allowed to do anything else.

Guys....you can no longer register with 3DR. They turned that off. That's one more issue solved. :)

I figured that was it... I suspect when you pay less than the manufacturing cost for something you're probably not going to get the most stellar service. ;-)

Reactions: DaveB
Seriously? I'm the last one to defend 3DR but complaining that you can't use a camera that is not listed in any description, on any website? That's like being mad that you can't use diesel fuel in your non diesel car or that you can't use IOS on your Android tablet.

Secondly, to not have read the instructions enough to know that you have to update the system before your first flight? There are even colorful stickers for the literacy challenged! I'm starting to think we're being trolled!

Did you see an error message like this?

e95827c19a44f669a24b27b8a728778f.jpg

The 3DR solo is notorious for being un-user friendly, problematic, and requiring multiple mods just fly with no issues.

Granted compatibility with the Hero 5 black.... if you had done a little research you would have found out that the hero 5 doesn't have the 30 pin connector on the back like the 3 and 4. I guess you would have read that after reading "only 3+ and 4 compatible." The drone was from 2015 I don't know why you'd expect future compatibility.

Multirotors are not a hobby for people who want a plug and play experience. Sure DJI is as close as you get but even with them doing your research knowing everything technical about your machine, it not only makes you a successful pilot but I think it's also the fun of the hobby. If you happen to read this I hope you find another hobby you enjoy and sell us your solo, we'll give you a good deal

False
I had never touched anything even remotely RC flying prior to solo
But. I did study the manual, spent hours researching and reading and understanding how it worked before I even bought it.

I was 6 months in before I ever crashed, and that was because I got over confident in myself.
Solo is very user friendly. But I will admit, not as easy as the RTF marketing makes it

Reactions: DaveB
I've not found the solo to be un-friendly for an (I'd be the first to admit) inexperienced user. The update requirement is pretty clearly communicated, the method for getting from unboxing to first flight is clearly communicated. Once I had the system in my hands it became pretty easy to figure out why my 4 year old Samsung and Apple devices weren't going to work (and had I done more work up front I'd have found the 'GPS Required' comment). While I've been looking at a stabilized quadcoptor for a while, I was sure I'd end up with the Mavic Pro, this was an impulse buy because the price was ridiculous... so I've had to spend more... still I've spent half the price of just the solo a year ago.

Now to get the most out of the system (and to get what I'd consider a reliable platform) DOES seem to require more of an techie level commitment. That's what anyone buying one of these should understand... the ONLY reason I pulled the trigger even at the reduced price was that I saw a pretty active user driven support network. The downside of grassroots development is that it's a lot more hands on... it means supporting folks like Kelly (I bought Solex as soon as I got the new android tablet home) and being willing to tinker (GPS, Antenna's... maybe wireless card update... who knows). And even then... if I've learned one thing about flying systems... they're easy to break even when everything is working right.

Well said
You took the correct approach to buying a low cost solo
Too many people bought on price alone and treated it like a gas station drone

Seriously? I'm the last one to defend 3DR but complaining that you can't use a camera that is not listed in any description, on any website? That's like being mad that you can't use diesel fuel in your non diesel car or that you can't use IOS on your Android tablet.

Secondly, to not have read the instructions enough to know that you have to update the system before your first flight? There are even colorful stickers for the literacy challenged! I'm starting to think we're being trolled!
I most assuredly did try to do the update. The fact is the controller freezes up as soon as it boots up. I can't get to the point where it does the update. In short, the thing is junk.

And to the previous comment about needing mods to fly, have yet to do any and I seem fine. May go mro down the road, but for now, don't see it as a requirement

And based on the tone and generally unhelpful comments on this forum it seems the 3DR Solo community isn't terribly interested in helping out. I'll consider this a good learning experience. Good luck to you all.

I'm sorry we've been harsh, it's an odd community.
Your biggest problem is that controller, that is certainly odd. I believe mine took along time to update. I just sat down and did something until I saw it finished.
Either way since you bought it new it does sound like 3DR may help you. They don't seem to replace parts but whole drones, but it's worth a shot.
Good luck with your problem, I really hope you sort it out. Sometimes with these it does seem hopeless, but it is possible to over come it. Took me 16 hours of changing settings one time to realize my m8n god needed to be set for an I2C connection in order to work!

I am a software developer by trade and I have spent many years with electronics as a hobby so I get it. The main reason I bought the Solo was because of the potential for customization and programming. But if the most basic functionality of the controller doesn't work out of the box, that's just a poor product. Simple as that. I'll take the hit for not checking the gimbal compatibility. Fine and good. But any product should perform its basic functions out of the box without hours and hours of trial and error configuration challenges. Apparently the bar is set pretty low for this product. If 3DR expects users to have to tinker with the thing in order to get it up and running that's fine but they should be a little more straightforward about it. I hope the 3DR community enjoys the experiences you all have but this is not the place for me.

Maybe your just over thinking this thing? It really couldn't be easier as long as you read the manual or at least the quick setup guide.

A lot of us have had defective products. Some defects are common like gimbal shake and poor gps others are less common. Since you've already tried the factory reset 3DR might be helpful to you. You'll have to send the drone if they do but you are definitely not on your own. I even have a spare controller coming to me in a few days. With a factory reset it could probably pair with yours. I'd just give it to you for the price of postage and shipping.

Reactions: Solo Keith

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40