A few questions before buying a Solo

Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering getting a Solo to use on trips because my X8 octo is just too big to bring around easily. Everything I have had up to now is DIY that I have made. So, are you able to dynamically balance motors on these things? I have used a servo tester up until now, but not sure how I would run up each motor on a stand with these pods. Also, I have read a lot about micro vibrations due to the gimbal design. Is this just a symptom of poorly balanced props/motors? I haven't seen a straight answer. I have a 5.4mm lens on my GoPro, so I don't want to get involved with something where people have issues vibration with the stock lens, unless there is a solution. OK lastly, how large is the motor pod failure problem? It is hard to tell from the limited info I have seen.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately there's no definitive answer to most of your questions.

Regarding motor testing, you can download Mission Planner to a desktop PC. You then connect wirelessly and can then run one motor at a time at user-selected speeds. The motor pod is easy to remove from Solo but the wires aren't long enough to mount it in a test stand.

Most vibration issues are resolved by balancing props. Most motor balancing is done while on a Solo using a smartphone vibration app.
Not the best way to balance but it seems to be good enough.

Sometimes the stock HDMI camera cable transfers vibration to the GoPro- solved by installing a more flexible ribbon cable.
(I never had any issues with the stock issue).

You should view some of the videos from people with "micro-vibration" issues to see if you actually see a problem. Many of them look perfectly fine to me.

Hope this helps!

Hello,
I am considering getting a Solo to use on trips because my X8 octo is just too big to bring around easily. Everything I have had up to now is DIY that I have made. So, are you able to dynamically balance motors on these things? I have used a servo tester up until now, but not sure how I would run up each motor on a stand with these pods. Also, I have read a lot about micro vibrations due to the gimbal design. Is this just a symptom of poorly balanced props/motors? I haven't seen a straight answer. I have a 5.4mm lens on my GoPro, so I don't want to get involved with something where people have issues vibration with the stock lens, unless there is a solution. OK lastly, how large is the motor pod failure problem? It is hard to tell from the limited info I have seen.
Thanks!

Nels...if you are a dyed-in-the-wool tinkerer...the SOLO is not your cup of tea. If you want to get the most out of the "camera quadcopter" concept, this is the ticket. If you go to the Solo Developer site off the 3DR Solo website, you will have plenty of information on how Solo is "extensible"....but not tinkerable. The expansion bay is a fascinating idea, as well as the WiFi network that is at the heart of the Solo C2 architecture. I find the Solo reduces my controller load, and increases my "sensor control" load....its all about placing the eye in the sky in the place and in a manner to shoot good video, or scans, surveys or etc. In fact you can use the Solo app to control the camera, while you use Tower to control the mission and fly the Pixhawk-2 like you'd do any 3DR quadcopter. In fact, its better at mission execution than the Iris+, which is quite a machine itself. Truly a fascinating architecture (Solo's) and it will mature as the ideas we Solo operators have turn into reality through some experimentation and hard work at the computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado