3DR Solo: Past, Present and Future

Hi Nisouck.

Do U know maybe what will be the procedure for reverting to original solo fw?
Additional this is FW only so I'm assuming that after installing it I would have the same solo functionality - smart shots right? I noticed that solo-1.5.2 and previous versions are providing a lot of bug fixes which will be nice to have on my solo.

Hi Nisouck.

Do U know maybe what will be the procedure for reverting to original solo fw?
Additional this is FW only so I'm assuming that after installing it I would have the same solo functionality - smart shots right? I noticed that solo-1.5.2 and previous versions are providing a lot of bug fixes which will be nice to have on my solo.

To revert to the original, before copying the new ArduCopter-v2.px4 into the directory, copy ans save the original, you will find into this directory, somwhere into your PC

So I am a new solo pilot my first flight was this weekend. Granted it was nothing exciting but to me it was great. Should I run out and buy new things for my Solo?
Welcome, Jimmy. If you haven't done it yet, download the manual and study it, as it has a lot of good info in it. There are a lot of things you can buy for your Solo, but some of them may not be needed. I think once you get used to flying Solo, you can determine what mods you want to make. You can use the search function on here to see what mods others have made. Believe me, you can spend some coin on things you may not need. So fly safe, read the manual, and then see what, if any, extras you want to buy. You can always ask your questions on here, but you can bet the search function can help you a lot. Good luck, and welcome aboard.

To revert to the original, before copying the new ArduCopter-v2.px4 into the directory, copy ans save the original, you will find into this directory, somwhere into your PC

The for this tip.

Ando what about solo smart shots and original functionality after installing arducopter firmware?

Jimmy, definitely the manual. Learn to fly manual too! READ, READ, READ postings here (and use search). Fly in sight.
Personally I added the LED lights and I really like them (still) for quickly identifying front and back. But that's me.

Lots of great info here - enjoy, fly safe, and fly happy!

I was hesitant to buy this drone because of the company issues, but this video helped me make up my mind and i bought my Solo yesterday! thank you for the great help.

Reactions: TheBasicPilot
Welcome, Jimmy. If you haven't done it yet, download the manual and study it, as it has a lot of good info in it. There are a lot of things you can buy for your Solo, but some of them may not be needed. I think once you get used to flying Solo, you can determine what mods you want to make. You can use the search function on here to see what mods others have made. Believe me, you can spend some coin on things you may not need. So fly safe, read the manual, and then see what, if any, extras you want to buy. You can always ask your questions on here, but you can bet the search function can help you a lot. Good luck, and welcome aboard.
Thanks Chuck you have already been a big help. The footage I took of irrigation systems out in the field was incredable, farm ponds in the middle of the woods amazed my family. I am reading and learning still working with getting GoPro Updates. I noticed that best buy has batteries for $39. so I am having fun.

I was hesitant to buy this drone because of the company issues, but this video helped me make up my mind and i bought my Solo yesterday! thank you for the great help.
Welcome, Audiacious. As you have probably already read, please download the manual and study it. Between the manual and the search function here on the forum, a wealth of info on Solo is at your fingertips. Good luck, and please fly safe.

Jimmy, definitely the manual. Learn to fly manual too! READ, READ, READ postings here (and use search). Fly in sight.
Personally I added the LED lights and I really like them (still) for quickly identifying front and back. But that's me.

Lots of great info here - enjoy, fly safe, and fly happy!
Thanks Jeffer I try to read the postings everyday. tThey are a great help.

Welcome, Audiacious. As you have probably already read, please download the manual and study it. Between the manual and the search function here on the forum, a wealth of info on Solo is at your fingertips. Good luck, and please fly safe.

very used to forums like this, I root phones and do tech support for myself and work lol and hell even used the forums to get info to fix my car when needed. Thank you for the welcome.

Well, based on some of his comments and given the blow out pricing of the Solo, I went and picked one up as my practice drone before I received my Mavic. Not owning a drone prior to this, I knew there might be a learning curve to fly. And my desire for a drone has been driven by the desire to get aerial footage during my Jeep Jamborees that I run. But I kept looking at Phantoms and there huge carry cases and thought it was too bulky to take 4 wheeling and too time consuming to set up to fly. That is why when the Magic was announced I knew it was time for a drone, one that was compact and easy to launch. But let day this, the Solo is awesome! I took it out for my first flights. Had 3 batteries ready to go. Everything updated and used the Nvidia shield K1 with it. It acquired 12 satellites in about 30 seconds and was ready to fly. I was amazed on how responsive it is and easy to fly. Tried out all the camera modes that fly itself and then buzzed it around to get familiar with its handling. I set its ceiling to 200 feet and kept it in line of site. At one point flying it at 200 ft height and away from me, it lost connection with the controller and I will say my heart skipped a beat. But right on que, the Solo flew back on its flight path till it reconnected with the controller. There is no doubt in my mind that 3DR built a nice drone and using everything in its default form it worked flawlessly. I will be having some fun with this Solo!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Fantastic job! This should be required watching, as it addresses all the concerns that people on the fence have about Solo. I hope your daughters got paid as extras...They are adorable....:) Thanks for posting.
Love it! Thank you for posting this!

My Latest Video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am on my second Solo, lost the first due to me leaving the wifi on the Gopro, Still haven't been able to find it, All I need for me is a GPS upgrade, and remembering to turn off that Gopro wifi! I have Solex and love it but I love using Tower majority of the time without issues.

I bought my Solo over a year ago and last time I flew it was about 10 months ago. I had done the cardboard, aluminum foil thing. I remember having a hard time with GPS lock and the Wifi being a bit iffy. I had flown a dozen or so flights when I stopped using it. Seemed to be more aggravation than it was worth.

I would like to start flying again and am not quite sure where to start.

1 Does the old 3DR software still work? Or do I need the Solex? Recommendations?
2 From this video I am thinking I should upgrade the GPS?
3 Anything else?

Thanks, I can use any guidance at this point. Would like to start again and hopefully have a less aggravating experience.

Video was fun to watch and informative. Probably would not have thought about flying again without the video.

Ron

I bought my Solo over a year ago and last time I flew it was about 10 months ago. I had done the cardboard, aluminum foil thing. I remember having a hard time with GPS lock and the Wifi being a bit iffy. I had flown a dozen or so flights when I stopped using it. Seemed to be more aggravation than it was worth.

I would like to start flying again and am not quite sure where to start.

1 Does the old 3DR software still work? Or do I need the Solex? Recommendations?
2 From this video I am thinking I should upgrade the GPS?
3 Anything else?

Thanks, I can use any guidance at this point. Would like to start again and hopefully have a less aggravating experience.

Video was fun to watch and informative. Probably would not have thought about flying again without the video.

Ron

Well it's def an expensive hobby, extra everything is a must, This will def help you a lot I don't care what anyone says,TK102B GSM GPRS Car GPS Tracker Vehicle Tracking Locator with SOS Over-speed Alarm (Color: Black)
Happy Flying!

Well that didnt last long. after about 10 beautiful flights, I have gotten the dreaded Calibration Error. What's odd is that just this morning, I flew it for 12 minutes. I wanted to get a good idea how long a battery lasts, so I did a auto lift off and let it hover at about 6ft with the timer running to see how long it would go before hitting 10% and auto land. Absolutely no issue during that hover battery test. But then this afternoon went to get another quick flight in at lunch and boom, like a Blue Screen of Death. Calibration error. I research the forum here and tried all the various ideas, Reset drone and controller to factory and then pair them back together and loaded the update from the app. Still got error, Tried cycling power several times, tried doing the level calibration many times but each time it would fail. The compass calibration worked though. I see that most of the threads in this forum on the calibration error end up sending into 3DR but I can not imagine what support would be like these days since they are no longer in the consumer drone market. Curious, since this drone is modular, what could be replaced by me to fix this issue? I am thinking of exchanging it for another one thru Amazon but then thought what if this happens again after the 30 day return period on Amazon. Do I try and get help from 3DR or do I look to just make mods and replace boards after that point?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421