3DR Solo Lost GPS and lost controller comunication

Reaction score
I'm a new solo flyer from Honduras. I bought my solo in the recent BB 299.00. I fly my 3dr solo for the last 10 days without any issues but today I took my longest flight cause I wanted to see how far away could I go with my solo. @ 900 mts all of the sudden lost gps came in the screen and lost communication with solo. So I has my solo in line of site but over trees so it went down. Went and try to find it with the last video I had of my flight but couldn't find it. I sent solo my logs. Any people out there with similar experiences? don't get me wrong i'm a proud owner of solo, love the product but this happened so i'm wondering if I did something wrong or did something happened to solo? thanks and a really appreciate any insights.

Abraham

How long after you lost GPS did you lose communication? My guess would be it began drifting with the wind and ended up out of range of the controller. When it loses connection to the controller and has no GPS signal, it will land itself, but will be drifting with the wind and momentum.

Thanks for tour reply,

I lost controller signal about 5 seconds after loosing gps. I will try again tomorrow morning to search for the solo since it landed in the forest.

Thanks for tour reply,

I lost controller signal about 5 seconds after loosing gps. I will try again tomorrow morning to search for the solo since it landed in the forest.
Before you go out hunting down your Solo again, Try to have someone read the logs & tell you to look in a general area. You may need to account for wind drift & height of last known location. Check with local weather to see speed & Direction of wind for that time & place.
This way you have a better chance of locating your Solo.
Don't give up, because many lost Solo's have been found by what i described above.

Good Luck....

Reactions: ProStock
The only way to find out whether this was pilot error or a problem with Solo is to submit your logs to 3DR. You can also find directions on how to download them yourself and use Mission Planner to read the logs, which will show the last known GPS point.

The only way to find out whether this was pilot error or a problem with Solo is to submit your logs to 3DR. You can also find directions on how to download them yourself and use Mission Planner to read the logs, which will show the last known GPS point.
I guess today was a good day! Found my solo!!!. The only problemnow is that it tells me I have a calibration error and I tried several tines to calibrate it without any success, should I try to reset the solo?
Thanks

Hello,

Glad you found your bird! First off did it crash? Anything noticebly broken? If so you might have to take it apart and check for any loose wiring or obvious damage to internals. If you are not comfortable doing this let 3dr handle it through a support ticket. Good luck glad you found her and I hope you get back in the air soon..

Hello,

Glad you found your bird! First off did it crash? Anything noticebly broken? If so you might have to take it apart and check for any loose wiring or obvious damage to internals. If you are not comfortable doing this let 3dr handle it through a support ticket. Good luck glad you found her and I hope you get back in the air soon..
So I recovered my solo. It was in the forest. A guy that was close by said it didn't crash it just landed by itself!!! No sign of crash all propellers in perfect condition including gimbal. I did a factory reset to the solo and still calibration error. I opened the gps compartment and arranged the shield, put it back together and its all good. I noticed I hace the rev A or 1 of the gps. Do you all thing that was the problem woth lost gps? Should I go and exchamge the solo a another one? Or should I just upgrade the gps module?

Thanks everyone for your support

So I recovered my solo. It was in the forest. A guy that was close by said it didn't crash it just landed by itself!!! No sign of crash all propellers in perfect condition including gimbal. I did a factory reset to the solo and still calibration error. I opened the gps compartment and arranged the shield, put it back together and its all good. I noticed I hace the rev A or 1 of the gps. Do you all thing that was the problem woth lost gps? Should I go and exchamge the solo a another one? Or should I just upgrade the gps module?

Thanks everyone for your support
Go ahead and do the GPS upgrade and you won't regret it. HAPPY SOLO'n

Very few if any people find a lost drone landed in a random field politely waiting for someone to come get it. Usually they end up in a the only tree in a huge open field.

Reactions: SARDG
lucky!!!
go buy a lottery ticket

did they guy keep it for the night or it was there waiting a full day and no one came by? how did you end up narrowing it down its location?

She sleeped overnight in the middle of the trees. The guy that picked it up the next morning. What I did to narrow the location was that I reviewed the video like 5 times and checked the weather like someone here told me to so that I could make an approximation. Next morning went with my 12 yr old son and looked for it.
Today I ordered the Neo M8N from MRobotics. I guess I will receive it by next week. Still waiting to hear fron 3dr about the logs I sent them.

Armandito05, when you replaced to GPS receiver did you use the original cable connecting it to the main board?
if you used one that came with GPS reciever, did it have the ferric bead on the cable like to original?
The bead's function is reduce interference on the data output lines.
Also check the solder on the main board pins.
Lastly consider ordering and installing the 3DR GPS shield
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FHF3F9/?coliid=I3DR5S8HDBLQPP&colid=26VVIOIZPIZSA&psc=0
The GPS shield works much better than the original copper shield which is pretty much ineffective because it is not grounded.
The shield I linked to is made from RF absorbing material and does not need to be grounded.

I would also recommend you read all of the posts on the GPS receiver.
I believe you have to make some minor software tweaks to correctly setup your Solo to operate with the Neo M8N.

- Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc