3DR Solo for use by Veterans and other Disabled Individuals

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Hi to everyone

I'm Phil the Developer, Designer, Builder of a Mind, Voice, Gesture, SmartGlasses Controlled wheelchair. Using the same technology I'm applying it to pilot the 3DR Solo Drone. With my primary work is to give Independent Living to Veterans, those Brave Men, Women and their Families need to have an aspect of ' Equality, Dignity ' Respect ' so I am giving my knowledge and experience as a Disabled Developer exactly that. Including the above methods of control it will allow' Search & Rescue, Thermography, Land, Building Surveying, 3D Mapping and more. This will help Veterans cope better with PTSD! I will share some of the methods including the cheapest method for Thermal Imaging, FPV through SmartGlasses and more.
It's great being part of the community.

Phil

Hi to everyone

I'm Phil the Developer, Designer, Builder of a Mind, Voice, Gesture, SmartGlasses Controlled wheelchair. Using the same technology I'm applying it to pilot the 3DR Solo Drone. With my primary work is to give Independent Living to Veterans, those Brave Men, Women and their Families need to have an aspect of ' Equality, Dignity ' Respect ' so I am giving my knowledge and experience as a Disabled Developer exactly that. Including the above methods of control it will allow' Search & Rescue, Thermography, Land, Building Surveying, 3D Mapping and more. This will help Veterans cope better with PTSD! I will share some of the methods including the cheapest method for Thermal Imaging, FPV through SmartGlasses and more.
It's great being part of the community.

Phil

Hello Phil,

We (my fiancé and I) would be most interested in your progress in this area. My fiancé suffered a terrible spinal injury while serving in the Army and she was part of the original Wounded Warrior Program (a huge budget-less cluster f****).

What control/interface methods have you found most promising? Have you made enough progress to write a 'Proof of Concept' or a 'White Paper'?

Thank You for your service & passion for a much overlooked segment of our population.

LAK

Hi all.

Please feel free to visit my LinkedIn Profile, there is a lot of information on there and some interesting images.
I'm disabled myself and all my work is self funded and Non Profit.
I'm a well respected developer and problem solving is a speciality. I am also working on a ' Real Functioning Robotic Prosthetic 3D Printed Hand ' its control is via Gesture and using a Mind Controller ( BCI ). Please have a read and my contact details are all on my profile.
LinkedIn

I wish you all the best in health

Phil

Hi no that's not me, my project is to help enable Veterans and other Disabled individuals to live with some Independent access to technology.

You can always email me for further details if your interested in Veterans and Disabled individuals. My contact details are on my profile.

Best wishes with health

Phil

Hi to all.

The project for Disabled Individuals especially Veterans access to flying the 3DR Solo is to help stop PTSD effects. I'm determined that the laws in the US regarding the ' Hand of Heroes ' is changed, at the moment it is classed as a ' Medical Device ', which means that the individuals cannot access the needed help. Prosthetics should be classed as ' Disability Aids '.
Here is a new write up about the work I'm doing. Let's see those brave Men and Women flying the 3DR Solo, they are not to be pushed aside because of disabilities.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/blin...-walk-rick-stoneking-sr?trk=pulse-det-nav_art

The article was written by a fellow Disabled Individual that helps Veterans access Travel.

Thanks everyone for your welcome to the 3DR Pilots forum, I hope I can contribute to various solutions.

Best wishes with health

Phil

Hello Phil,

We (my fiancé and I) would be most interested in your progress in this area. My fiancé suffered a terrible spinal injury while serving in the Army and she was part of the original Wounded Warrior Program (a huge budget-less cluster f****).

What control/interface methods have you found most promising? Have you made enough progress to write a 'Proof of Concept' or a 'White Paper'?

Thank You for your service & passion for a much overlooked segment of our population.

LAK
Hi LAK
Apologies for the delay in your question, firstly I wish you and your fiancé all the best in life.
The various control methods I'm using are similar in their use but completely different in the technology used. It's hard to say exactly which is more efficient as it would vary by user to user, also what items are being used. The technology is applicable to nearly any device. It's an interface with Bluetooth, Wireless connection.
Please let me know what you would like it to control.

Best wishes with health

Phil

Hey Phil,

Thanks for touching base & kind words. Jo has regained the use of her legs (despite the prognosis) but still lives with many complications. Still, we have each other and are very happy.

I've been looking into the current crop of 'consumer' neural interfaces. These have improved drastically over the years and are almost useable commercially. Software still appears to be in the development stages and will be crucial to move these systems from curiosities to a reliable interface.

If I may ask, to what technology are you referring and how does it differ?

As to what I feel would make a life-changing difference: Let's start with the basics: Regaining control of one's environment (lights/climate/communication/entertainment etc.). Then move to basic mobility: 'Think' your wheelchair/mobility device to come to where you are, go where you want or return to storage and recharge.

To anyone else who may read this:
I realize other solutions to these seemingly simple issues already exists, that is until you try to accomplish these tasks without arms, legs and speech.

Phil we wish you success in your endeavors & God speed~

Hey Phil,

Thanks for touching base & kind words. Jo has regained the use of her legs (despite the prognosis) but still lives with many complications. Still, we have each other and are very happy.

I've been looking into the current crop of 'consumer' neural interfaces. These have improved drastically over the years and are almost useable commercially. Software still appears to be in the development stages and will be crucial to move these systems from curiosities to a reliable interface.

If I may ask, to what technology are you referring and how does it differ?

As to what I feel would make a life-changing difference: Let's start with the basics: Regaining control of one's environment (lights/climate/communication/entertainment etc.). Then move to basic mobility: 'Think' your wheelchair/mobility device to come to where you are, go where you want or return to storage and recharge.

To anyone else who may read this:
I realize other solutions to these seemingly simple issues already exists, that is until you try to accomplish these tasks without arms, legs and speech.

Phil we wish you success in your endeavors & God speed~

Hi LAK

Apologies for my delay in responding, it's been quite a busy period for me.
With the current work being a priority for me getting the connection control between the Custom Made Interface and Solo needs to be precise and most importantly ' Shielded against Interference '!

I have also my health issues which tend to slow down the process, working with one hand from a wheelchair as you probably are aware is very hard. This aspect is something that unless you either experience it or see it daily ( as you do ) others don't understand.

The Solo Drone is an amazing device with many variations to pilot, this is the aspect where Disabled Individuals, US Veterans will benefit from its Therapeutic use.
The SmartGlasses I'm using give fantastic FPV, this however will change once I receive the ' New Unreleased ' SmartGlasses which will have 4G internet connection built in! I'm under NDA so cannot give too much information but can say they are really unique!
After integration with the ' Neuro ' interface the following commands are working ' Up, Down 100% , Left, Right 75% accurate ( this will be hopefully 100% with my new idea ).

Gesture Control is very simple to use and can be applied to almost anything! So from control over a PC, Wheelchair, 3dr Solo and any other Bluetooth connection device.

I will try to keep you updated. There should be some images and a video shortly. As I mentioned being Non Profit, Self Funded has its disadvantages. I'm now back to contacting GoPro for some help with 2 Hero 4s needed for Video and Thermal Imaging overlay. If I have no luck with them I will be contacting a colleague at TomTom and use the Bandit instead.

If you have any questions about Disabled Accesibility to other Technology then please feel free to email me. My best contact is via the ' e-Wheelchair Project ' at [email protected] .

I wish you and your family all the best in health. Look forward to connecting again soon.

Phil

Reactions: LAK-USA
Hi LAK

Apologies for my delay in responding, it's been quite a busy period for me.
With the current work being a priority for me getting the connection control between the Custom Made Interface and Solo needs to be precise and most importantly ' Shielded against Interference '!

I have also my health issues which tend to slow down the process, working with one hand from a wheelchair as you probably are aware is very hard. This aspect is something that unless you either experience it or see it daily ( as you do ) others don't understand.

The Solo Drone is an amazing device with many variations to pilot, this is the aspect where Disabled Individuals, US Veterans will benefit from its Therapeutic use.
The SmartGlasses I'm using give fantastic FPV, this however will change once I receive the ' New Unreleased ' SmartGlasses which will have 4G internet connection built in! I'm under NDA so cannot give too much information but can say they are really unique!
After integration with the ' Neuro ' interface the following commands are working ' Up, Down 100% , Left, Right 75% accurate ( this will be hopefully 100% with my new idea ).

Gesture Control is very simple to use and can be applied to almost anything! So from control over a PC, Wheelchair, 3dr Solo and any other Bluetooth connection device.

I will try to keep you updated. There should be some images and a video shortly. As I mentioned being Non Profit, Self Funded has its disadvantages. I'm now back to contacting GoPro for some help with 2 Hero 4s needed for Video and Thermal Imaging overlay. If I have no luck with them I will be contacting a colleague at TomTom and use the Bandit instead.

If you have any questions about Disabled Accesibility to other Technology then please feel free to email me. My best contact is via the ' e-Wheelchair Project ' at [email protected] .

I wish you and your family all the best in health. Look forward to connecting again soon.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thank you for taking the time to update us. The new hardware sounds very promising! I'm also really glad to hear of the progress you've made, especially in the accuracy/confidence areas. I understand some of the challenges you must be dealing with, new system interfacing can be such a pain(!) let alone trying to get companies onboard. Nonetheless, perseverance is so very English!

Success & good health to you and yours Phil.

LAK

Sweet! Does the controller "play nice" with all the extra metal bits around it (including a wheelchair)?

Sweet! Does the controller "play nice" with all the extra metal bits around it (including a wheelchair)?
well interference wise there are no issues at all.
There are some extra pieces of Hardware on the ' Controller Tray ' !
2 x 2watt signal boosters for extended range.
1 x power pack for boosters & Charge of Tablet or Smartphone.
3 input HDMI splitter for viewing either on Larger screen, Connection to FPV or even Buddy share.
The camera control extended arm is 3D Printed and I can use my ' amputated hand ' to control.
It sits so steady, comfortable and surprisingly not heavy using a Chest Strap in the Wheelchair is a real comfortable use.
The Android Based SmartGlasses will actually allow even control over the 3dr Solo.
The Drone itself will have some pictures uploaded with ' Thermal Imaging Core ' and Down Facing 3D Cameras. All transmission is at 5.8G except the Controller.
Very happy with the outcome. The first hurdle has been met.
Great imaging for use with the ' Autodesk ' software I have been supplied. From image to 3D Printer is best I have used.
Best wishes with health, happiness and success to all.
Thanks for the comments.
Phil

Reactions: LAK-USA
I'm testing the ' Follow Me ' function as everything on the SmartGlasses connect with the Controller, which has built in GPS, Wireless and as you can see a great deal of functionality.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc