3dr Solo app for iOS

Reaction score
I updated my iPhone 6S and iPad 3 to iOS 10.3 and now the app crashes when it connects to Solo. I have removed the app and reinstalled it on both devices but no luck. Anyone having this problem? Thx

Other discussions have identified the 10.3 update to the crashes. Others in the forum have indicated 3DR is aware of the issue and will be providing a software update, no time frame noted. I have a friend that developed apps, says Apple communicates the beta months in advance to app developers to bug fix issues, not sure why Robotics didn't react to that.

Reactions: OpenSource
Hmm I had contacted 3dr about this and the person told me :

"Thank you for reaching out 3D Robotics; Regarding your question, to be honest, we won't have new updates at least from the last information we received and that's correct we have left the consumer electronics business and we have shifted our focus to Industrial drones where we have a bigger competitive advantage."

So, not sure if thats definitive, but it doesn't sound like a fix is on the horizon. I see the android app is still in closed beta...and may never be released. ;(

I just wonder why they just don't release the iOS app to the public to fix.

I got on a chat on the 3dr site with support and they said the same thing. No ETA on fix. Sucks.

Im not a developer but I would think someone could fairly easily build their own app. All the variables and parameters are known, they just need to be interfaced. Mission Planner does it, they just need a mobile app customized for solo. SidePilot does everything but the video feed. I don't think it has the mode switching either. But one nice thing about it is you can DL the flash logs right from the app and email to yourself. Sucks when a company ends support, kinda forces you to at least take a look at other options. I flew with my buddy and his new DJI Mavic....I gotta say, that drone is pretty impressive. Flew two miles out and still had 3/4 of his bars, video stream was still solid. Full telemetry and playback right from the app, automatic sync to DroneDeploy and DroneLogBook....it was impressive....other than the $1000 base price point =)

I contacted the developer for SidePilot and asked if it would support video feed in the future as well as automatic triggering of GoPro shutter for mapping applications. His response was:

Yes to both of your questions!

We have a new version in the final stages of beta testing with support for Solo video, Solo image and video capture as well as a grid waypoint type which will enable you to create a box around the are you want to fly, set consistent intervals to fly inside as well as automatically trigger the shutter.

This version will also have much better general Solo support which will be handy for a lot of people.

Hopefully this will be released within the next few weeks depending on how our tests perform.

Thanks!

So this app maybe essentially able to replace the 3DR app....minus the SmartShots....but he DID say be plans on working those in eventually. Next release shows these items:

In Progress - Next Update!
  • Follow Me - Beta Testing
  • Solo video support - Ready for next release
  • Pre-Flight checklist current weather (wind & temp) - Ready for next release
  • TCP link - Ready for next release
  • Grid Waypoints - Beta Testing
  • Tap to fly to point - Beta Testing

Last edited:
Reactions: Suprcoopr
Just received this from 3DRobotics:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out 3D Robotics; The new IOS firmware 10.3 is causing conflict with the Solo App, we already reported the issue to the developing team, as soon as we have a solution an update will be released.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience

Just received this from 3DRobotics:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out 3D Robotics; The new IOS firmware 10.3 is causing conflict with the Solo App, we already reported the issue to the developing team, as soon as we have a solution an update will be released.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience

Thank you for your response but since the team has had the iOS bata for weeks, Is the developing a team our sloths? I still can't fly until the app is updated.

Im not a developer but I would think someone could fairly easily build their own app. All the variables and parameters are known, they just need to be interfaced. Mission Planner does it, they just need a mobile app customized for solo. SidePilot does everything but the video feed. I don't think it has the mode switching either. But one nice thing about it is you can DL the flash logs right from the app and email to yourself. Sucks when a company ends support, kinda forces you to at least take a look at other options. I flew with my buddy and his new DJI Mavic....I gotta say, that drone is pretty impressive. Flew two miles out and still had 3/4 of his bars, video stream was still solid. Full telemetry and playback right from the app, automatic sync to DroneDeploy and DroneLogBook....it was impressive....other than the $1000 base price point =)

Already done. It is called Solex. Android only, and it rocks!

Oh wow, it does look amazing....the OSD is awesome, does it record the OSD to the video? Does it record that OSD to video? That would be sweet. And wow this app looks amazing

Last edited:
DJI Mavic....I gotta say, that drone is pretty impressive. Flew two miles out and still had 3/4 of his bars, video stream was still solid. Full telemetry and playback right from the app, automatic sync to DroneDeploy and DroneLogBook....it was impressive....other than the $1000 base price point =)

I love the Mavic. Very peppy flyer with incredible features, well worth the $1000. But I mostly like it for its stealth. It's small, fast and quiet, fits in your pants cargo pocket, and has pretty decent video. The downside is that the gimbal/camera setup is as fragile as a baby hummingbird, and if you visit the Mavic forum on the DJI site there are a lot of complaints about malfunctions and poor customer support. Way more complaints than I've seen here with the Solo. Had no problems with my Mavic, knock on wood.

And I've only been using SidePilot with my Solos lately, hence I haven't experienced the 3DR Solo App problems with the last iOS upgrade. SidePilot supports streaming video very well.

To potentially add salt to the wound, Apple just released 10.3.1. Hope 3DR dedicates resources to our plight.

Hey 3DR, Just a heads up there's going to be an update to iOS in September. Your crack team might want to start now and prepare for it.

Reactions: mwizard
Here's what I did....downgraded my iPad mini & iPhone from iOS 10.3 to 10.2 (you can download the images after a quick google search)

Download the 3DR App, go outside & fly.

It's simple.

Thank you for the suggestion. But by downgrading the devices exposes the devices to be hacked and viruses. This is not a solution just like after everything I have spent to now go out and buy an android device. I don't think so. The app needs to be updated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela