3dr company closing?

Reaction score
I just bought this drone and now read that the company is closing.Does anyone know if this is true and if so are they going to still be updating the firmware so they still work.

You are somewhat correct. 3DR is getting out of the consumer multirotor market, they still have Site Scan.
Don't fret! Solo has a strong backing from the DIY audience (where 3DR started). Lots of other discussions on this board on this topic. Search function works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are somewhat correct. 3DR is getting out of the consumer multirotor market, they still have Site Scan.
Don't fret! Solo has a strong backing from the DIY audience (where 3DR started). Lots of other discussions on this board on this topic. Search function works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info appreciate it.

Looks like it was posted in the wrong thread. This is where the user above meant to post.

SAR equipment / accessories

As for 3DR as a company, and support/updates for Solo...there is some good information on this site. Personally, I'm not too worried about it. The unit works great right now, ties into the GP4 perfectly, and has some awesome functionality. Seems like most of the bugs have already been worked out through the updates that were pushed last year.

Although there is still some warranty and support from 3DR, I would suggest spending some quality time with the user manual, and the videos on the 3DR youtube channel, including the webinars that are posted. Better to know your equipment as well as possible to avoid the chance of a mishap, or misunderstanding what the drone will do autonomously.

3DR Solo user manual

Last edited:
Good article from Forbes on the subject. I disagree with the comment made by a former employee about the Solo being a "lemon product", though. I don't think it's anything of the sort. The product isn't what killed that line of business -- overextending themselves and unrealistic sales goals seem to me to be more at fault.

An interesting read nonetheless.

Behind The Crash Of 3D Robotics, North America's Most Promising Drone Company

Good article from Forbes on the subject. I disagree with the comment made by a former employee about the Solo being a "lemon product", though. I don't think it's anything of the sort. The product isn't what killed that line of business -- overextending themselves and unrealistic sales goals seem to me to be more at fault.

An interesting read nonetheless.

Behind The Crash Of 3D Robotics, North America's Most Promising Drone Company

Very interesting article, thanks for the link. I'm more and more impressed with Solo and I think you're right.

Even after reading the article, I still bought one, another one, and another one. From go, it's been too much fun! Even with the noobie crashes and amateur video. I don't think I would have pulled the trigger if there wasn't a bunch of organized vets with good info. There is a reason why they love the platform. I like the roots of the project, even with the constraints and ultimate demise of the business model. It's cool, it's a great tool and a hobby I can wrap my brain around. I'll support 3rd party peeps, to sustain its life cycle.

Don't believe what you read or the fact that most of their talent has jumped ship or was let go.

3DR is doing great. They have sold more drones in the last two months than probably their entire history. It's just a strategic business ploy to gain market share. It's great to finally see an american company beating the competition at their own game by selling electronics at deals too good to be true. Like I said, don't believe what you read.

EDIT: which one of these faces indicates sarcasm? :p

Last edited:
Selling drones at half of what it costs to build them is hardly a sound business model. You don't pay off your debts that way nor do you remain solvent.

All that as it may be, I'm just glad there's such a strong network out there that will keep the Solo alive for seemingly a long while.

Last edited:
Don't believe what you read or the fact that most of their talent has jumped ship or was let go.

3DR is doing great. They have sold more drones in the last two months than probably their entire history. It's just a strategic business ploy to gain market share. It's great to finally see an american company beating the competition at their own game by selling electronics at deals too good to be true. Like I said, don't believe what you read.

that ladies and gentleman, is blind loyalty.

Don't believe what you read? LOL there is no agenda against 3D Robotics.

they're only moving units because they need fire sales to put them each up for a fraction of the BoM costs.

3DR is a commercial failure. There's nothing to debate here. They created a good platform, but there's no need to feed newcomer lies.

Hi guys. Newbie here. I have been flying dji for quite a while. I saw the solo go on sale at Best Buy for 299. I fell in love with this drone. My experience so far with this drone is great. My phantom is going to be gathering a lot of dust. I'm sold. I hope 3dr can keep these birds supported so I can keep flying.

Reactions: Whisky56

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela