2G's Dropped in a lake...

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not even sure why I'm sharing this story but here goes. I was one of the early pre-orders for the Solo, brand new to drones or much of anything RC. I read about it on Wired and ordered it on whim. I got the general hang of it pretty quickly and flew it once or twice a week. Enjoyed it more once I got the gimbal. Still, I didn't have the time to become much of an expert. So I flew very safe, high in the air, keeping it on the lowest speed setting until a month ago when I graduated to the second lowest setting. The problem was, flying safe and high was not a lot of fun. But flying closer to trees or obstacles was nerve wracking because of the fear losing something so spendy. So the more I flew it, the less I enjoyed it. Finally, I thought, this is ridiculous, I'm not having any fun because I'm worried about losing something that isn't even enjoyable the way I'm using it. I decided I would continue to careful about human safety but I would quit being so uptight about the drone's safety. And I started to have more fun and I got to be a (slightly) better pilot.

Then a few days ago, I was flying over Lake Arrowhead. I was standing on a cliff about 100 feet over the lake so the drone was below me for much of the time. I descended slowly toward the water and stopped when I started to see the water disrupted by the wind from the props. I sped across the top of the water, about ten feet up and got some of the coolest shots I've gotten yet. I brought it back for a battery change and then headed back down toward the water to do some more. I was watching the drone drop down toward the water. At about 40 feet over the water I start to slow down when the drone vanishes. It took me a shocked moment to realize what had happened. To my downward perspective, it looked like I was well above the water. I was not. I was in it. The drone was gone with no hope of ever coming back. With the gimbal and the Hero4, 2 grand dropped in the water. It was a sensation I've never experienced. It was like the shock of being in a car wreck but with no physical pain. I calmly told my wife, who was playing with our kids at the park, "the drone is gone. I just dropped it in the lake." We both just stood there.

Now before the trolls come out to tell me what a moron I am, I'll save you the trouble. I know. This one is all on me. Can't blame anyone - as much as I'd like to. I was careless, heading down to the water too fast. Should have descended more slowly as I had the first time but for some reason I thought I was well above the deck. It's actually a good life lesson that I learned with no risk to my health.

I'm lucky in the sense that I make a comfortable living so it's not as though I saved up for months to buy the thing. Still, I'm not careless with money and it stung like crazy to see that much of it drop into a lake - especially when it was my own fault.

I'm not sure what I'll do now. I'd like to get another one but I think I'll look for a less expensive alternative. Something nice enough to really fly well but cheap enough that I won't be nervous the whole time. And maybe work my way back up to whatever 3dr's next generation winds up being. In the meantime, I guess I thought this story was nuts enough to share. Hope you enjoyed it.

Man, I am so sorry for your Solo loss. This had to be hard to post since it was mostly a pilot error event. Thanks for posting it anyway, since you may open the eyes of other pilots in the same situation. I flew over the ocean this past weekend, and was a nervous nellie at first. After taking it slow and getting used to how to judge height over water, and distance to cliffs, I got some great footage. I hope you stay in the hobby, and again, thanks for posting and possibly helping others.

Chuck's got it right - posting something like this helps others be more aware. At the very least, by posting you may have prevented someone else from doing the same thing.

Is there any way to recover it? The GP and electronics and motors will be shot, but the shell, props, and other physical pieces could be sold/reused.

Sorry that happened and I do hope you get back into it. I'm sure that stung.

Your comment about not having fun because of being worried about the cost reminds me of a saying from my other (more expensive) hobby: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." Most of that statement has to do with being able to approach the limits of the car, but some of it is because a fast car is usually more expensive and that is always in the back of your mind.

Sean, sorry for your loss but thanks for posting- it's a good way for others to learn.
Just curious, but was Solo able to give a read out of its altitude above the water? I never even though about it as I live in the desert.

Before I got Solo I bought a Syma X5C ($50) to see how I liked drones. It was a great practice drone. Then I moved up to its big brother the X8C. It's about the same size as Solo and looks much like a Phantom. It has a cheap camera but you can't watch it while flying.
I didn't care because I wasn't interested in filming then.

If you want to start over the X8C would be a good choice as its a lot of fun to fly. Just take the camera off (easy) and go fly. At about $100 it's easy on the wallet.

I flew mine into trees, walls, the side of my house and never broke it. Just picked it up and kept flying. I bent a prop once but just bent it back and kept flying.

All you have to do is turn the drone on, turn the controller on and go fly. With no camera on the bottom, you can take the legs off and it looks like a flying saucer. Land it on grass or concrete that way no problem.

I still take it out once in a while when I don't want to mess with all the Solo setup.

Wow, that's terrible. I can relate, earlier this I dumped an 8 hp outboard motor off a boat. The wood on the transom had been rotting for years, and every time I clamped the motor on, I told myself "I really have to replace that piece of wood"... but never did. Took it out one day, came around an island, hit a small wave and next thing I hear is an odd gurgling noise. Turn around to see the motor sink below the surface about 15 feet behind me. I went back with scuba gear 3 times, but can't find it! Live and learn.

Glad it wasn't financially devastating. It took me a long time to finally purchase a Solo, and I only did so when I could accept that sooner or later, the thing will fall out of the sky and could very well be a total loss.

If you're still interested, definitely pick up or build a smaller quad. I built a 250 with a Pixhawk flight controller, and it's as much fun to play with as the Solo. It has almost all of the autonomous capabilities as the Solo, so it's a perfect quad to learn on before sending the Solo out autonomously.

Okay, I'm not even sure why I'm sharing this story but here goes. I was one of the early pre-orders for the Solo, brand new to drones or much of anything RC. I read about it on Wired and ordered it on whim. I got the general hang of it pretty quickly and flew it once or twice a week. Enjoyed it more once I got the gimbal. Still, I didn't have the time to become much of an expert. So I flew very safe, high in the air, keeping it on the lowest speed setting until a month ago when I graduated to the second lowest setting. The problem was, flying safe and high was not a lot of fun. But flying closer to trees or obstacles was nerve wracking because of the fear losing something so spendy. So the more I flew it, the less I enjoyed it. Finally, I thought, this is ridiculous, I'm not having any fun because I'm worried about losing something that isn't even enjoyable the way I'm using it. I decided I would continue to careful about human safety but I would quit being so uptight about the drone's safety. And I started to have more fun and I got to be a (slightly) better pilot.

Then a few days ago, I was flying over Lake Arrowhead. I was standing on a cliff about 100 feet over the lake so the drone was below me for much of the time. I descended slowly toward the water and stopped when I started to see the water disrupted by the wind from the props. I sped across the top of the water, about ten feet up and got some of the coolest shots I've gotten yet. I brought it back for a battery change and then headed back down toward the water to do some more. I was watching the drone drop down toward the water. At about 40 feet over the water I start to slow down when the drone vanishes. It took me a shocked moment to realize what had happened. To my downward perspective, it looked like I was well above the water. I was not. I was in it. The drone was gone with no hope of ever coming back. With the gimbal and the Hero4, 2 grand dropped in the water. It was a sensation I've never experienced. It was like the shock of being in a car wreck but with no physical pain. I calmly told my wife, who was playing with our kids at the park, "the drone is gone. I just dropped it in the lake." We both just stood there.

Now before the trolls come out to tell me what a moron I am, I'll save you the trouble. I know. This one is all on me. Can't blame anyone - as much as I'd like to. I was careless, heading down to the water too fast. Should have descended more slowly as I had the first time but for some reason I thought I was well above the deck. It's actually a good life lesson that I learned with no risk to my health.

I'm lucky in the sense that I make a comfortable living so it's not as though I saved up for months to buy the thing. Still, I'm not careless with money and it stung like crazy to see that much of it drop into a lake - especially when it was my own fault.

I'm not sure what I'll do now. I'd like to get another one but I think I'll look for a less expensive alternative. Something nice enough to really fly well but cheap enough that I won't be nervous the whole time. And maybe work my way back up to whatever 3dr's next generation winds up being. In the meantime, I guess I thought this story was nuts enough to share. Hope you enjoyed it.
Thank you for posting I'm sincerely sorry that happened to you but you're totally right it is experience gained, I hope you get back up and running again soon, what did 3DR say about it?

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and advice. Much appreciated.

Have you thought about hiring a scuba diver to retrieve it? People have had great success getting their Solo to work again after a drowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, I dropped it into a fenced-in reservoir part of the lake so I would have to go through the local government. I've decided to let it go rather than risk losing even more money on this. If anyone lives near Lake Arrowhead in California and wants to go on a treasure hunt for my drone, it's all yours. If you're that intrepid, you deserve it. It fell in about 30 to 50 feet away from the dam side on the north east end of the reservoir.

I can empathize to a certain extent. Although, my tale of woe isn't quite as, hmm, how should I say...grandiose as yours.

My second flight out with Solo, I decided to see what it could do when set to the fastest speed. Full speed + low altitude + a small, unnoticed rise in terrain = flip onto its backside.

Only lost one prop, and the automatic motor cut-off worked as soon as it noticed the Solo was upside down.

Still, it does teach a valuable lesson about understanding the terrain and one's altitude.

Sorry for your loss. I've heard on various forums that, if you fly over water, eventually its going in the water. I do know of one waterproof UAV on the market buts its a first generation product with the expected challenges: www.urbandrones.com.
"Splash Drone"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It fell in about 30 to 50 feet away from the dam side on the north east end of the reservoir.

I just looked on Google maps, is it that little part of the lake that's split off by that road 173 (it's called Papoose Lake, on Google maps)?

If so, judging by the slope of the shore going into it, it doesn't look like it's that deep. Not saying it wouldn't be a hassle going through the authorities, but it's probably retrievable. If they wouldn't let anyone dive there, maybe they'd allow you to stand on the shore and toss in a magnet on a rope. A decent neodymium magnet would probably drag it up... and you have 4 motors filled with magnets for it to latch on to.

Whether it would be worth the hassle at all is a different question. You have to assume the camera, battery and all the electronics throughout would be shot at this point.

This is probably a dumb question. Does the Solo have downward pointing sensor to detect proximity to earth? Or does it judge this just by GPS altitude. Would be awesome to have proximity sensor that was displayed on the HUD with alerts.

Barometer and GPS elevation only. It is understood that sensors are on the way at some point...

Dear 3DR - I have plans for lots of water flying! I would pay for a proximity sensor. Anyone trying to hack one in with the developer kit?

In a fresh water lake, quite a bit might be salvageable, even some of the motors and electronics.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig