10 Satellites and lost GPS

Reaction score
What am I missing. I have 10 satellites and lost GPS. Solo went manual and flew into my house. Lost a couple of props but nothing serious. Is there an issue with the GPS board?

You still have control and can fly in manual mode, assume you were to close to house to do that / react? Structures & trees can block satellites, not to mention any magnetic interference from same. Stay out in the open.

What am I missing. I have 10 satellites and lost GPS. Solo went manual and flew into my house. Lost a couple of props but nothing serious. Is there an issue with the GPS board?
There are some gps mods on YouTube, to help get a better signal even in tight areas, you should check them out!

Number one sats has nothing to do with the quality of the signal.
As stated in the manual, fly with GPS only in non obscured environments, away from structures, buildings, metal objects, ...
The problem you ran into is called GPS multipath effects.

Thank you for the help. I was in manual, but I panic and was backwards on my orientation. I have open areas on my property, but numerous mature trees surrounding the open areas. The areas are less than a quarter of an acre.

Sounds like the trees, etc., were close enough to interfere with Solo's GPS. It switched to FLY:MANUAL, like it is supposed to. You tried to control Solo but flew into the side of your house.

Is that correct?

If so, I'll bet you have little or no experience flying Solo or any other quad in a "manual" mode.

For a long time we have been telling people to learn to fly manually with a cheap drone, in a large open area, before moving up to something like Solo.

Or if you're brave or have deep pockets, start out with Solo, Phantom, or whatever and fly manually in a large, open area.

You have just discovered why we recommend that.

The first line of your first post says "what am I missing?" You failed to properly train yourself- Solo is not a child's toy.:D

Check out this service. UAV Forecast. I have noticed a direct correlation with the Kp index and Gps behavior.
Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Solo is a cheap drone
Hold me back... I've got too many now. {:0 I noticed on Best Buy that the 3DR package deals don't show with "ON SALE" red label, it looks like it is the regular price the way it displays (see image). (hey who you calling cheap ;)

I learned to fly quads with a Traxxas Alias, which was around $100, money well spent. You don't have time to 'think' when these decide to start flying off on their own quickly, it has to be a practiced subconscious reaction.

bestbuypage.jpg

Attachments

• bestbuypage.jpg
    bestbuypage.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Maddog
Wait a minute... Solo is a cheap drone - or cheaper than we ever imagined it would be, and getting cheaper... ;)
Actually I was thinking in the $50 range, but you make a good point.
Better to crash a $399 drone than a $999 one.

Sounds like the trees, etc., were close enough to interfere with Solo's GPS. It switched to FLY:MANUAL, like it is supposed to. You tried to control Solo but flew into the side of your house.

Is that correct?

If so, I'll bet you have little or no experience flying Solo or any other quad in a "manual" mode.

For a long time we have been telling people to learn to fly manually with a cheap drone, in a large open area, before moving up to something like Solo.

Or if you're brave or have deep pockets, start out with Solo, Phantom, or whatever and fly manually in a large, open area.

You have just discovered why we recommend that.

The first line of your first post says "what am I missing?" You failed to properly train yourself- Solo is not a child's toy.:D
Firstly, I will not respond to the tenor of your insulting message. But I will make an overall comment to those who sit in their ivory towers of perfection. To pontificate from on high regarding ones education and experience in this hobby or any other, without knowing that person details how shallow ones self worth is. Merely saying learn to fly is a vein attempt to display an opinion of ones self importance than many others share. To answer your question, I was flying UAVs before quads were even in vogue.

This however is my first GPS bird. I needed some help regarding gps dropout. I had a hard time imagining have strong gps and Wi-Fi signal and within ten to fifteen feet, loose everything.

Oh, by the way, next time you are in a car accident, learn to drive

Firstly, I will not respond to the tenor of your insulting message. But I will make an overall comment to those who sit in their ivory towers of perfection. To pontificate from on high regarding ones education and experience in this hobby or any other, without knowing that person details how shallow ones self worth is. Merely saying learn to fly is a vein attempt to display an opinion of ones self importance than many others share. To answer your question, I was flying UAVs before quads were even in vogue.

This however is my first GPS bird. I needed some help regarding gps dropout. I had a hard time imagining have strong gps and Wi-Fi signal and within ten to fifteen feet, loose everything.

Wow- No more late night posting. Sorry for making assumptions like that, but posting your previous experience would help us help you. Do you think your previous experience helped you fly Solo?

I bought a Solo about 3 weeks ago. GPS gets 8+ sats in ~1 minute, then quickly 12.

I then ordered another with the backpack deal, just received it yesterday. It takes much longer just to reach 7, and refuses to go >10. After flying a couple packs, landed and still stuck on 9/10, sometimes dropping to 8.

Today I sat them next to each other and achieved the same results. These aren't my first Solo's so I'm familiar with the GPS issues from last year.

Hmm. I wonder if the first one has the rev B board because it does reach 12 sats quicker than I ever remember past ones.

On top of that, the mail ordered one (#2) was obviously a returned unit because the feet had landing marks on them. It is getting returned to BB for an exchange.

About the so called multipathing; it's BS. I can fly any of my AC copters with M8N GPS near structures without incident. The issue is 3DR screwed the pooch on the Solo 7M GPS design.

Last edited:

I believe you misread Maddog's post - he was using what's called "constructive criticism". By launching into your tirade about lounging in Ivory riders you made far more presumptions than he.
And quads aren't like other RC craft. The ability to operate one does not necessarily transfer to others.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I believe you misread Maddog's post - he was using what's called "constructive criticism". By launching into your tirade about lounging in Ivory riders you made far more presumptions than he.
And quads aren't like other RC craft. The ability to operate one does not necessarily transfer to others.
His response was well beyond "constructive criticism." In fact nothing was even germane to my question of GPS dropout. Mostly his comments were insulting at best with little or no help.

His response was well beyond "constructive criticism." In fact nothing was even germane to my question of GPS dropout. Mostly his comments were insulting at best with little or no help.
Yes, agreed his post was a little afield. He was trying to be helpful nevertheless, and a full assault was unwarranted.
If you've done much reading here you know GPS issues are fairly common, and usually pretty mundane. Pilot error is usually tracked down as the primary cause of accidents like yours and is the first thing we take a look at.

I did not intend to be insulting and apologize to you and everybody else on the forum that it came out that way.

My intent was to offer information to somebody whose background I didn't know and to others reading the thread who are new to Solo.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Number of satellites is not a good indicator, if you fly in wooded area or surrounded by tall building, the GPS signal are bounced. A bounced signal is worse than no signal.

The original Solo GPS is an known issue, unless you have changed the GPS unit or replaced the shield, you will have the GPS issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea