10/23 3DR Services Update 1.4.3 on Android

Reaction score
Surprised I have found no conversation r/e this quiet little update on the forum. Updated 10/23, What's new new...

• Added support for custom video stream
  • Improved PX4 Support
  • Fixed Loss if RC Gimbal control issue
  • Bug fixes

So Lot of complaints on forum about gimbal control so thought this would help those people (haven't had that issue myself, But I have been waiting for the ability to switch camera modes on the Hero4 remotely while in flight (Kinda like the jovial fellas with the cool Hero video switching options in the main animation on the 3DR home page. OK so services updated, but no corresponding 3DR app update and when I connect to Solo, nothing is new feature-wise that I can tell and there are no available firmware for the Controller/Solo since the ones released mid-September. Anyone know more about this little update and what it does?

Full release note:
Release 3DR Services v1.4.3 · dronekit/dronekit-android · GitHub

Also was wondering why my Solo controller shows more help screen stuff like "Press and hold Fly to Takeoff" message whilst my brothers new solo controller shows only advanced parameter screen. Is this something to be selected in settings?

Reactions: J R
Thanks for the link. So basically the 3DR services is a behind the scenes direct drone communication stuff with no real visible changes to the user for Solo operation? I was excited when I saw custom video stream and thought maybe we get to change GoPro settings from drone remote in flight now. They depict it happening in slick fashion on main animation 3DR homepage with those few guys on the cliff flying their Solo so I assume is forthcoming.

As for Brother's remote, just shows a more busy screen on the actual remote LCD (yes when armed and ready for takeoff). Whereas mine simply says "hold fly to start rotors" and "hold fly to takeoff" Like mine has easy mode with user help enabled, his doesn't tell him what to do when ready for takeoff. Still same thing happens obviously, but curious why different treatment when config is same.

ALso another quick question (not to get too busy on one thread), but does anyone's gimbal power up their GoPro for them when Solo is powered up or do you always have to manually power on the GoPro (I have Hero4 Black) to prepare it to see video and record? Mine lights the charging LED on the Go Pro but doesn't actually power it on although it does power the GoPro off when I power down the Solo after flight.

This services update fixed an issue when using Tower and the Solo app at the same time. Now you regain gimbal tilt control when switching back to the Solo.

Other fixes included will be good when the new Solo app comes out, but for now, it's mostly behind the curtain fixes and changes that most of us won't need right now.

This services update fixed an issue when using Tower and the Solo app at the same time. Now you regain gimbal tilt control when switching back to the Solo.

Other fixes included will be good when the new Solo app comes out, but for now, it's mostly behind the curtain fixes and changes that most of us won't need right now.

Thanks. anyone want to help w/answer for my Gopro power on question when powering on the Solo?

Thanks. anyone want to help w/answer for my Gopro power on question when powering on the Solo?

JC,

As far as I'm aware, you have to manually power up your GPH4 first. I power the GP first, then the bird, then controller. When you power down the bird the GP automatically shuts off. Make sure you stop recording before powering down the Solo! I made that mistake once or twice!

Jerry

As far as I'm aware, you have to manually power up your GPH4 first. I power the GP first, then the bird, then controller. When you power down the bird the GP automatically shuts off. Make sure you stop recording before powering down the Solo! I made that mistake once or twice!

So, I have been doing it wrong the whole time? I thought the controller had to be first then the GP, then solo? Maybe I am stuck in the R/C heli days when radio was ALWAYS first on.

Reactions: mcneely19 and J R
So, I have been doing it wrong the whole time? I thought the controller had to be first then the GP, then solo? Maybe I am stuck in the R/C heli days when radio was ALWAYS first on.

Whoa, careful there cowboy! My way may not be the "right" way. It's been my limited experience that the way I'm doing it works the best for me. I need to be more careful. I am not an expert in any fashion, especially with my month old Solo.

Jerry

Reactions: RichWest
I also power my GP4 first. So, I dont need to move the Solo when it is powered and, doing so, all is fine!

Anymore I don't think the order is a huge deal and I've tried each way with success, the only thing I suggest is definitley turning on your GoPro first so your not fighting your gimbal motors after their on.

I'm sure later the GoPro will most likley have an option to or simply be turned on by powering solo or a button in app. For now solo only powers down the hero not up, which I'm good with. You'll always notice it's not on, but I did leave mine on post flight and come back to a dead battery before we had our gimbals.

So, I have been doing it wrong the whole time?

Unlikely. My experience has been that there is no right or wrong way. I've honestly not paid an iota of attention to order a single time I've flown mine, and I've not had a single problem.

Nisouck makes a good point about powering on the GoPro before the Solo though, but it's only so you're not fighting the gimbal motors once they're on and trying to keep the camera stable. It has nothing to do with ensuring they're detected in any specific order to work properly.

The Solo Manual say to power on the Solo then the controller. I also power on the GoPro first just because it's easier and Solo acquires GPS quicker when you don't handle it.

Normal RC power up sequence is power on the radio then the bird. This was to prevent interference from other RF transmissions taking control of your plane or heli.

Thanks everyone. I thought I saw somewhere someone reported having the Solo power up their GPH4 and have it ready to record just by powering the Solo on. Wanted to make sure mine was not somehow missing this capability as mine just lights the "charging" lamp on the GPH4 if I do not power it on first. I guess this makes sense because that's exactly what happens to GPH4 when you plug a USB cable connected to PC that doesn't turn on the Hero either, just lights the charging lamp. If you want to transfer files with cable you actually have to manually power the Hero on. It would however be nice if Solo did it automatically so it's one less step to forget before powering up the drone.

ANyone know about the difference in remote screens I described above. Is this possibly some advanced screen vs. noob screen setting that accounts for why brother's remote doesn't give him the user assist prompts like "hold fly to take off," etc.?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig